Butterfly said:
What part of the pool did you take your sample from?

The reason I ask is that I just read your post about the algae starting around your steps ................

From right near the steps. I poured 3 bottles right behind the steps, 3 around the permeter of the pool and 1 bottle down the skimmer basket. I just now added 2 more bottles right behind the steps. I have the pool light on and yep, I can see the green starting :(

You should be careful about pouring bleach in an area with poor circulation. Full strength bleach doesn't mix with the water right away unless there is a fair amount of water movement (say in front of a return jet). So for a little while there will be very high bleach concentrations against the vinyl in the area where you are pouring. That can damage the liner over time.

JasonLion said:
You should be careful about pouring bleach in an area with poor circulation. Full strength bleach doesn't mix with the water right away unless there is a fair amount of water movement (say in front of a return jet). So for a little while there will be very high bleach concentrations against the vinyl in the area where you are pouring. That can damage the liner over time.

Yeah I figured it wasn't good to do it. But, since I have my sons 11th bday party this weekend, well we just can't have a green pool! I took the polaris adaptor plate off the return jet and since it's pretty much stuck in the up position, I have a mini water fountain going on. So hopefully that will mix it a little faster. I just checked on it and the green looks like it is gone from under the steps. Hopefully this won't happen again and hopefully by morning I will see a big improvement.

ETA~ Just checked CL levels again (11:50pm) FC is 23.5 CC is showing as 0. Would algae not show a reading on the CC test or not necessaril? My understanding is if you have a CC reading greater than .5, then there is something in the water that the FC is working on eliminating.

Laura,

Are you able to move your steps without too much hassle? If so, you could do that and then brush the area where algae are growing.

Can you get a hose with a garden sprayer behind them? With the sprayer set at 'jet' or 'full' you may be able to flush the algae out. If you can't get the attachment between the steps and the pool wall you might still be able to direct some water at them through the vent holes in the steps.

Not sure what your steps look like but one or the other of these techniques might work out for you.

I've poured small amounts of LC (1 cup) behind my steps in the past but either have a hose going when I do that or use a short brush to agitate the water and mix in the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.