Mechanical Manual Off Switch No Longer Works

First off, let me say thank you so much for pool school! I have learned so much and my pool is looking better than it has in years and with significantly fewer trips to the pool store and way less $$!!!!

I have my Tork mechanical timer set so that the pool pump operates between about 10am and 7pm every day. It has been working fabulously. This afternoon, I went out to do some pool maintenance. There was some debris in the skimmer basket, so I went to the timer to use the manual off switch to turn the pump off (as I have done hundreds of times). When I pressed down on the off switch, the pump powered off, however when I released pressure from the switch, the pump came back on. I pressed down on the ON side of the switch until it clicked and then tried the OFF again and got the same behavior (I did this several times actually). I tried re-setting the power breaker to see if this might have an effect, and it did not. Its like something with the OFF switch is not catching, whether I am pressing on it manually or whether the timer tripper is activating it, once the pressure is relieved the pump comes back on. I cannot find any pieces in the bottom of the housing box - looking to see if maybe something broke and fell off.

Any advice on how I might fix this? Here's a picture of what the mechanism looks like:

Tork-1101M-200.jpg

I have a GE name branded timer which is actually made by Tork and has many identical parts to what you've got pictured. My unit is sightly different in that it has a bar that brings the ON/OFF function to the outside of the case. I had the same exact problem where the mechanical override wouldn't hold in the OFF position but in my case it was because the case wasn't cut away enough where the ON/OFF bar passed through. I cut and filed away a little bit and I've not had a problem since. I know this isn't exactly the same configuration you have but I offer it as a possible clue if it helps.

Thanks gtemkin, I have looked at this thing and I can't find where anything is getting in the way. In some of the other diagrams I have seen on the net, you can release the front plate and swing it open to look at the back side, but I can't do that with mine, its fixed (screwed).

Any other suggestions on what I can check or where to find instructions on what I might look at before calling someone? And if I do need to call someone, will an electrician do or would it need to be someone who specialized in pool equipment?

..... if I do need to call someone, will an electrician do or would it need to be someone who specialized in pool equipment?

I don't have any more suggestions. Any electrician should be more than qualified to replace it. It shouldn't require any pool expertise.

If you have a heater or anticipate getting one, you may want to get a timer that includes an auxiliary microswitch that can be wired in with the heater and will shut it off several minutes before the pump shuts off, lengthening the life of the heater. If you're not getting a heater, then that's not a concern.

The On/Off switch physically has an over-center device in it that trips when you press the lever and holds the switch in that position. What's most likely happened to yours is that the over-center device has stuck or broken inside the switch body. Replacement is about the only recourse you have. I'd just buy a replacement mechanism and replace it in kind.

thanks for the link ps0303 - that's actually the site where i pulled the pic of my timer from for my original post ;)

And thanks gtemkin for the response and thoughtful addition about the heater

and thanks Bama Rambler for the replacement advice - i was afraid that's what it was going to come to, especially given the age of it, but glad to have the confirmation!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.