ic60 swg dying after just 2.5 years?

MattM

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
SWG installed in late January of 2012 for 24K gallon pool.
In use with intellichem system.
- Pump on 12hrs/day, Intellichem active 11hrs/day, SWG running at 100% for about 30 minutes out of every hour on average (much less in winter, much more in summer)
- Have had SWG issues in past but always tracked down to dropping CYA levels or need to shock pool. Current CYA is ~75. Recently shocked and CC levels are minimal.
- Have had to manually add chlorine every few days for last 3-4 weeks, increasing SWG run time does not seem to help currently running 100% for about 55 minutes out of every hour.
- FC seems to drop up to 20% per day
- Intellichem acid dosage has been markedly less than normal over last month due to dropping p/h which I believe is associated with chlorine being burned off by the sun.
- SWG status lights are all normal
- SWG reports salt level of ~3800 (it is usually accurate, and I generally only add 1 bag salt when it reads < 3400 for several days in a row)
- Bubbles are coming out of pool returns when swg is active, but I think they might be about double/triple the normal size -- not small fine bubbles as I remember
- I had my son do a chlorine test where he checked away from returns and directly above the returns, he reported almost identical FC levels - will verify again soon.
- Our filter is a quad de 100, It normally needs cleaning annually, it just reached that point and I haven't gotten around to it yet- not sure if that could be causing issue. Flow GPM is ~30 now, 35-40 when solar heating is on. GPM drop rather than pressure change is normal sign of needing cleaning, we're running 2-5gpm less than normal now.

You should do an overnight FC loss test to be completely sure it is the SWG and not an invisible algae problem. Also do a visual inspection of the cell plates to make sure they aren't suffering from calcium scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.