Intex 633t cartridge pump connected to sand filter

Jun 24, 2014
Ky
My first post!

I had a walmart intex sand filter and pump (bought from Walmart) for my previous 18' round intex pool. When that pool liner wore out I tried in vain to patch it. It came to the point where patching was a full time job and the pool still leaked. I gave up and bought the intex 26' round on sale at the end of last season at Walmart. I could not believe how much bigger the new pool was than my 18'. Since I had a sand filter I did not even bother to inbox the intex 633T cartridge filter that came with the pool. Over the last few weeks my pump started making noise. I was slamming my pool (thank trouble free pools) and pump was on 24 hrs. It got louder and louder. Couple of nights ago I was listening to it while trying to sleep wondering what the neighbors thought about it. The next day I took it apart and replaced the bearings. I thought it would be easy but somehow in the process I shorted the coils?.

I did not want to go back to the cartridge filter that came with it. I loved the sand filter. Then I got the idea of hooking up the new intex 633T that came with the pool (without cartridge in it) to the remaining sand filter from the old intex sand filter pump. I turned it on expecting a problem, but... It works. The water is being circulated better than before. Even allows me to sweep the pool better than before.

Question: has anyone else done this?
Does it shorten the lifespan of the cartridge filter motor to hook it up to a sand filter?
Any other thoughts of possible problems?
Would there be any advantage to putting a cartridge into it?

Thanks
Wade

The 633T is a surprisingly strong pump for what it is.

Bearings on those are easy to replace, 608ZZ skate bearings.

No advantage to putting the cart in the canister. Your sand will do the job with much less hassle.

What is the horse-power specs for the T633. I have one and have been wondering. I have not found the answer yet. Being a 2500 gph pump, it is much-much stronger than the T635 1500 gph pump that came with my pool. The T635 also has a awful history of breaking quickly as mine did. thus I have the T633 and love it. Now I know I can hook it up to a sand filter too! Awesome! What kind of sand filter do you use with your T633 by the way?

What is the horse-power specs for the T633. I have one and have been wondering. I have not found the answer yet. Being a 2500 gph pump, it is much-much stronger than the T635 1500 gph pump that came with my pool. The T635 also has a awful history of breaking quickly as mine did. thus I have the T633 and love it. Now I know I can hook it up to a sand filter too! Awesome! What kind of sand filter do you use with your T633 by the way?

I have it connected to the small intex sand filter canister model sf15110

The canister originally came with sand canister and matching pump from walmart, but the 633T is running circles around the pump it came with. And is so much quieter. If I had known this I'd have done it months ago. However I had wrongly assumed the pump that came with the sand filter would have been the better of the two and reasoned the 633T would be a step down. Now it's looking like an upgrade.

Wade

One more thing: the current draw and thus the hp rating of small induction motors like these can and does change according to the load placed on them. It is entirely possible that the same winding and armature section is used in the sand filter pump and the 633T, with different end plates.

I don't have a sand filter pump to take apart to check this, so I may be wrong. However, the pics I've seen here and elsewhere seem to indicate this.

my intex sand filter that came with my 18X52 pool went bad and i had purchased the 633T for half of what the intex sand filter would have cost and am very pleased with its performance. i read alot of reviews on amazon and decided to give it a shot. glad i did although i miss the sand filter when backwashing. might try hooking this up to the sand filter cannister myself!:D

:party:WOW!!! IT WORKS!!! and i do believe i have better flow! just backwashed and its great. i'm always amazed at what other people on this forum find that works and as a team everyone here helps everybody else to solve their issues by sharing info. this is a great site!!!:D:goodjob:

Hey guys, sorry to ressurect this thread but where would the pump go? before or after the sand filter. I would think if it is before the filter then all of the junk would go through the pump with filtration and clog it up. So it must go after the sand filter. Correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the Intex Sand & Salt water system model #CS20110, but due to lack of space I never hooked it up, I canned the idea and bought the 633T pump as the 635T pump burnt out after 2 summers. I have had continuous cloudy water problems which is why I bought the S&S water system in the first place. I love the idea of adding the sand filter to it, but do not know how to modify it, can you post an image of how you use both the 633T & the sand filter?

Intex ultra frame 9" x 18" x52

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.