Pressure Gauge

SkyKid

Apr 30, 2013
Upstate South Carolina
Hello everyone I just installed a new gauge on my filter that I got from TFTtestkits
It's liquid filled and after installing I dutifully cut the nipple off like it said to
Now it's leaking oil
Should I just let it drip or should I plug it back up
It's a bottom mount and it goes on the side of my filter
Thanks for any and all help
SkyKid

You should also re-equalize the internal pressure with large swings in air temperature as that can affect the readings.

I think there is more than one person who got instructions to cut the nipple and I don't understand why. It is supposed to be a pressure equalizer. I will speak with them again Monday AM and have a more clear cut answer.

I personally see no reason to cut the pressure plug but someone must've put that in there for a reason. I'll find out and post back.

Cutting the nipple would allow the gauge to auto-vent which has some advantages. But of course the plug would always need to be installed upwards so the glycerin would not drain out.

I thought Dave had already contacted them and posted that there was no reason to cut it if it was reading zero to start. I know I saw the directions to cut it, forgot, and then saw the previous discussion.

Dave, might want to add a note on your webpage about this.

The gauge can still read zero and need to be vented because it has a physical stop. Basically, these types of gauges should always be vented before taking a reading.

I just got mine and it has a sticker that says "pull and re-plug the metal knob on the rubber cap for releasing internal pressure to assure accuracy".

I didn't realize it was just a little nail thing that was actually going to let the liquid out. Made a bit of a mess. I thought it was some sort of springy thing until I pulled up a little and since I had it slightly tilted in my hands (I haven't had a chance to install it yet) it started to pour out onto my hand. I kinda freaked out figuring I just ruined my brand new gauge. :-(

Hopefully it will be ok since I didn't lose too much of the liquid? *sigh* I just had to follow the instructions. Should have left it alone.

I still don't totally get it. If I have this thing screwed in to my filter it's going to be sticking out from the filter at a 90 degree angle just like my current cheapy one does. If I have to pull that plug out to "vent' it, there won't be any way to keep more liquid from spilling out. I bought this type because it's what I already had. Maybe I was supposed to buy the other style with the mounting thing on the back of the gauge instead of the bottom? Ugh.

I think the idea is to get it equalized with its final install location to account for altitude differences. There should be no need to leave it open.

Kind of wish that note was not even there.

Our supplier of these gauges seem to be putting some arbitrary instructions in the box. I will see if we can't do our own instructions and insert them instead.

FWIW, the liquid is food grade glycerin and is a bit messy but harmless. Losing a little of it is harmless as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I cut mine as per instructed, no problems so far after nearly one year. Mine is vertical, leaked a little to start but nothing alarming. I saw it weep a couple of times last summer I think.

For whatever it's worth, Filled Gauge used inside industrial complexes are just like this, except they have a little toggle valve that performs the same function. Instrument guys open the little toggle once they are installed, and forget about them.

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't totally get it. If I have this thing screwed in to my filter it's going to be sticking out from the filter at a 90 degree angle just like my current cheapy one does. Maybe I was supposed to buy the other style with the mounting thing on the back of the gauge instead of the bottom? Ugh.

Yep, sounds like it.

Mine also said to pull up to zero out I think. It leaked. It still leaks sometimes. It is mounted on top of filter. Sometimes when pump is running it will still say zero. I thought maybe it was because some of the glycerin leaked out.
Have considered replacing it with original manufacturers gauge. Never sure what the actual pressure is. It generally varies between 3-6 psi on any given day or sometimes zero. Always with the pump running at the same speed. Confusing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.