New Pool Owner- Overwhelmed

Jul 2, 2014
Macomb, MI
Hello Everyone,
I just purchased a new 24' round and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. The pool store is giving me a kit that includes "everything I need to open my pool", but I know it's all granulated chlorine sticks and such. Do I risk damaging my pool if I start out with that stuff, or should I just go tright to the BBB method? Also, seems like I should be investing in a quality test kit in short order, so that will be next on my list.

I've read the whole Pool School and I am thrilled that there is so much valuable informaiton out there. Has really helped to begin to put my mind at ease. I did have one other question though. I purchased a heat pump but opted to not put in a center drain (pool is not yet installed so I can change my mind). I really am not overly concerned about the less vacumming benfits of the main drain, but I am wondering if I am going to regret not having the additional circulation for heating. I live in Michigan though so I am really concerned abotu the hard freeze we get each winter. Are there other methods I coudl use to improve circulation in the pool?

Thanks for your help!

I would skip the main drain as you don't need it. You want to circulate the whole pool? Run your pump as needed and point your eyeball/return down and you'll be just fine. You can also brush your pool weekly and vac it weekly too. I brush one day and vac the next. I live in PA and I get 3 good swimming months and that's about it. I would imagine Michigan is the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.