New First Time Pool Owner

Jul 2, 2014
Macomb, MI
Hey everyone, I'm so glad I found this site. I'm having a 24' round above ground installed in too weeks and I've been feeling overwhelemed without getting much help from the local pool store. I'm a chemical engineer so I am going to have a fun time tweaking my water chemistry, and am a bit embarsed that I didn't think about the BBB methos before finding this site!! I do have a few questions though, the pool company is sending me home with a kit that includes "everything I need to start up my pool". So I'm getting cholrine shock sticks, and other granular, easy to use chemicals. I plan on switching to the BBB method as soon as I run out of their supplies, but was wondering if I am setting myself up for failure right off the bat. Any advice? Am I getting too concerned?

Also, we opted for a Heat Pump for the pool after reviewing efficiences and energy costs versus natural gas. I am wondering if I am gogin to be sorry for not installing a main drain to help with circulation for heating. I'm nervous to add one since I live in Michigan and we get hard freezes up here. I have heard that there are some attachments that you can put into your return jets that will promote additional cirulation, does anyone have any experience with those?

Thanks and I look forward to many years of invovlement with this community!!!!

Hi, welcome to TFP! Just avoid using any products that contain metals or minerals, so no copper or silver anything should go in the water. If you post the ingredients for the chemicals they gave you we can tell you if they are ok to use and for how long.

The best investment you can make in your pool is a high quality test kit such as the Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 . You will be able to conduct tests at your leisure and dose the pool based on accurate test results.

If you are handy with pvc you could rig up a T on your return and extend a pipe to the floor of the pool to shoot heated water down there. You may find directing the return eye downward gives you enough circulation without adding any modifications.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.