Test kit is here & now I need help please!

I had a previous post about cloudy aqua blue water & needed help getting it cleared up. I ordered the recommended test kit & while I waited I just kept my pump running & added regular bleach to my pool. I can now see the bottom of my pool. It's not completely clear, but it's getting there. My kit arrived today & I tested my pool. I haven't figured out how to do my signature yet. My pool is a pro series metal frame 16x48 AGP with the original paper filter pump with skimmer. Here are my results....

CL and BR I couldn't really tell what color it really was, but it looked to be to be between 2-5 for CL and 4-10 for BR

PH- 6.8
FC- 11
CC- 1.5
TC- 12.5
CHT- 50ppm
Alk- 40
CYA- 20

So what should I do now, besides vacuum my pool now that I can see the bottom, to make it okay for my little one to go swimming?

Thank you

Last edited:
Ok my cc is a bit high but my FC is already at where it needs to be for my CYA. Should I stop putting bleach in the pool now, vacuum the remaining algae out, & wait til the morning & test again? Also, will it be safe for baby to go swimming if my PH is only 6.8? Please help. I have read everything but some is still a bit confusing to me.

I would keep adding bleach to keep FC around 10 until your pool is clear. You'll probably need to clean your filter fairly frequently - I use a sprayer in the kitchen sink but a hose sprayer works pretty well too. Just don't hit it with a single jet from the hose and damage it.

Once the pool is clear you'll still need to keep adding bleach but since you'll be targeting a lower level you won't need to add so much.

AFAIK you have to get the pH above 7 before anyone goes swimming.

Re: Test kit is here & now I need help please!

Hi Kacalhoun! Glad you got your test kit and now you will be able to see what you are fixing. So we will take things one at a time and you'll have that baby swimming before long!

You said "I can now see the bottom of my pool. It's not completely clear, but it's getting there." So you've kept it from getting worse but now it's time to fix the problem.

You can bump your CYA up just a little. It's currently 20 but Recommended Levels are 30-50. Get some stabalizer/conditioner (dose according to pool math to raise it by 10 - don't overshoot) and put it in an old sock. Tie the top and hang it on your pool brush in front of your return to let it dissolve. Then forget about it for a week. Seriously. Just forget it. We are now going to assume your CYA level is 30 for any further dosing.

Your CYA/Chlorine ratio according to the chart is a minimum FC 2 and shock (SLAM) FC 12. So this means at no time during your ownership should your FC drop below 2. But since you have a problem, you are going to keep your FC at shock (SLAM) level 12 until the problem goes away. So you will test, dose, brush, and run your filter 24 hours a day and then repeat the cycle as often as every hour or as much as you can. You have CC present > 0.5 so that means something organic is in the pool. You will maintain SLAM level 12 until (1) your water is clear AND (2) your CC < 0.5 AND (3) you have an overnight free chlorine loss (OCLT) of less than 1 ppm.

You will find out how much to use by putting your pool information into Pool Math. 16 x 48 figures to be about 6,000 gallons of water. Plug the rest of your test results into Pool Math to see recommendations for chemical additions.

Your pH is a little low. 7.2 to 8 is acceptable for swimming. Now, pH will usually rise over time on it's own or you can help it along. 20 Mule Team borax will raise your pH as well as your alkalinity (which could use a boost as well). Dose it from Pool Math.

CH in a vinyl pool isn't a problem unless it's too high. Which your's isn't so forget about it for now.

So the only thing you need to be aggressive with is the SLAM levels throughout the day. With all other chemical additions, do it gradually. This should very well get you well on your way to swimming.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and you may want to review the Recommended Levels section from time to time, just to keep it fresh in your mind. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.