2-speed pump not starting on high speed

ping

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2011
Long Beach, CA
My pump is not starting when high-speed is selected to turn on the pump. The pump makes a loud buzzing sound when trying to start the pump and then the thermal cutoff switch shuts the pump off after a few seconds of trying to start. The pump makes the same noise when starting on low-speed, but it does start after a second or so of the buzzing. I replaced the capacitor and it still has the same symptoms.

The pump is connected to an Intermatic T-104 and T-106 timer/switch and once the pump is running it has no problems switching speeds with the T-106 switch.

The pump has always been on the loud side and at times the bearings sound like they need replacing then an hour later the pump sounds normal.

Any recommendations on what I should look at next? Pump specs are in my signature.

I'll check it when I get home from work. I tried to remove the back plate but 2 of the screws were not breaking loose. I sprayed some liquid wrench on them last night, hopefully they will break loose today.

Sounds like the centrifugal switch is bad. This is the unit, usually mounted at the end opposite of the pump, which controls when the start windings are energized. BTW you might have two capacitors: one that is energized all of the time and one that is used only during starting. Either a bad start cap or a bad switch will cause your problem.

Check for ants inside the back of your pump. Ants seem to love electricity and will gladly give up their life to make your switches and relays not work.

Just removed the cover to expose the shaft and it easily turned by hand, but there was a squeal sound that seemed to come from the rear bearing. I ran the pump and the rear bearing was turning so it seems the rear end bearing housing is worthless. I'm not sure if it will be worth trying to troubleshoot any more and try to fix this motor or just replace it.

I could install a VS pump that will allow me to dial in the speeds I need for solar and SWG use as this pump has marginal flow for my SWG on low-speed and has too much flow to run the solar at the optimum flow. My electrical rates are high, over .03, and it might be in my best interest to switch it over as there is a $200 rebate for making the switch.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.