Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Propane Smoker

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
No, I don't have the Big Block, but I do have it's kid brother, and it does a great job with minimal fuss. I got into smoking my own BBQ last year when I found a Brinkmann vertical charcoal smoker at Wallyworld. With visions of butts dancing in my head (not those kinds of butts, Waste!..OK..well, maybe those butts, too.. :mrgreen: ) I brought it home, and tried it out. Try as I might, I couldn't keep the temp up around 200-225 using charcoal for the full 12 hour smoke. I started reading and researching, and found the GOSM line of propane fired smokers. Although I wanted a Big Block, the DW and I compromised and I bought the next size down. In fact, I bought it at the local Wallyworld as well. It's a vertical smoker as well, has a big brass burner in the base, and adjustable shelves to accomodate just about whatever you want to smoke. It's also wide enough to handle full slabs of ribs, too! I can easily adjust the burner to give me 200 - 225 degrees, and best of all, I don't have to worry about the coals going out. The only thing I don't like about this smoker is that it has one vent, and it's right on top of the unit. Well, guess what happens when it rains?? :roll: I ended up buying a cheap aluminum 8" round cake pan to use as a rain cap. I drilled holes every inch or so around the wall of the pan, and set that on top so the smoke can escape, but the rain can't get in. I also use another rectangular pan as a wood chip box, as the box that came with the unit is undersized, IMO.

Other than those two items, it's a great unit, especially for the price (under $150). If you've ever wanted to try your hand at low - n - slow, this would be a great smoker to start out with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.