Athens, GA - USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am a new above ground pool owner (24' Round) and it came with a two speed pump. I have been running it on high anywhere between 5 and 18 hours a day (trying to find a good routine that works for me). After backwashing, I read about 16 PSI while on high and 4 PSI on low. Has anyone experimented to find the optimal number of hours on high vs. low? Should I run 24 hours on low? Or 12 hours on low and 2 on high? One concern I have is Chlorine. Since I have a Trichlor feeder, I want to make sure I get enough run-time to get good chlorination (plan to try bleach soon but still educating myself on the chemistry).

Thanks in advance for any help

Welcome to TFPC! Can't answer your pump question as I have an old fashioned single speed I run about 6 hours a day.

If you don't already have one, you will need to pick up one of the recommended test kits. The pool store kits won't cut it.

Using that Trichlor feeder you need to be careful not to get too high a CYA/Stabilizer level.

Do some reading over at the Pool School and ask away with the questions.

Thanks. I had not seen this article but was hoping something like it existed.

And, yes, I have read about the issues of CYA. I have a TF100 kit but I don't think I am doing the CYA test right (only one attempt so far. I will try again today). The pool store has me at 20, if I recall.

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm sure you will get more questions from me soon!

The pool stores more often give inaccurate results. Get off the tabs ASAP.

I run my pump on low for 8-9 hours, overnight. I start it when I'm adding liquid chlorine (around sunset).

Even if your CYA is low, those tabs don't get the chlorine in the pool fast enough. You should be supplementing the tabs with some liquid, if you are sure your CYA level (via TF100) is in fact 20ppm. I would keep testing the CYA weekly until you hit at least 40ppm and stop using them. The pucks will have your pH and TA running on the low side too.

If you could, you should read:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart

I too would run your pump on low, even if it is all day. You'll be saving electricity. I want to switch to a 2 speed too. :goodjob:

I run mine on low 4 to 6 sometimes 8 hours a day unless I vacumm or backwash. Sometimes I turn it on high if I want some real current flowing for whatever reason. Your PSI readings are about the same as mine. On high speed the pump shows 16 amps ($$$) and I forget what low is but its a whole lot less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.