Pool alarms...any opinions/advice?

May 26, 2013
Tennessee
The state of Tennessee requires you to have a pool alarm. Though I know plenty that don't. Not the point...anyways, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with any that they could recommend for a new above ground pool build. From what I have read, you can't pass the electrical inspection without it. So, I would prefer to have a good one that doesn't go off at the slightest breeze blowing or rain shower.

Read lots of review. My pool builder provided one that was absolute garbage. You could tell from build quality that either they have no quality control, or they don't expect anyone to actually use it after inspection is passed...I suspect the latter, based on reviews I later read.

Having said that, I have seen pool alarms that actually do get good reviews.

You want one that is easy to disarm, and is not too aggressive about rearming itself...both issues with my unit. Otherwise, you will want to rip it out. Of course, you don't want false alarms either, but my unit was actually good about that for the week we had it installed.

Read lots of user reviews, and buy from a place with a great return policy.

(Sorry, I can't remember my make and model.)

I have a "pool patrol" that I sometimes use. It floats on the surface and detects waves in the pool if someone falls in. It has a wireless alarm that will also go off in the house. You can take it out of the pool when you don't want to use it. I think I paid around $60 bucks for it on amazon.

Aside from building codes and passing inspection, I installed alarms to the doors and some windows of the house. They are cheap and can be turned on an off as necessary.

Thanks everyone. I too, from what I have read about them don't think they are going to be reliable really. I planned to install some sort of alarm on the fence gate. Figured we could find one of those that would work well. Plus there will be a padlock on the gate too. May seem like overkill, but that's ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.