Safe chlorine levels

Exit0

Jul 3, 2013
Looking for a little info... My pool is in direct sunlight all day and I can not keep chlorine levels up. I bumped my CYA up to what I Expect to be 50ish after it totally dissolves. Pool looks good no problems but with my cya at that level, when I add chlorine I bring it up to about 8 ppm in order to keep it above the minimum level. If I leave my solar cover on most of the day or it is cloudy, I have no trouble keeping the chlorine level up. I know I saw a thread about this at one point but I can not seem to find it. But is it safe to swim at that level? How high a level can you safely swim without negative effects?

See the chlorine/cya chart in pool school for SUGGESTED target levels for your cya. You may need to add another point to that target level. It is safe to swim up to slam level for your cya.

Once the CYA is fully dissolved I expect raising FC to 8 should be sufficient since the higher CYA levels will protect your FC better.

I wonder whether the "safe to swim up to SLAM level" rule applies if your CYA is not fully dissolved (ie wonder if you need to use SLAM level for some lower-than-target CYA level to reflect the not-yet-dissolved CYA). That said, since SLAM level at 20 ppm CYA is 10 you should be safe to swim at 8 as long as you think CYA is at least 20 or higher...

Well the over night loss test was a good call. Did that this morning FC was at 6.5 and CC was at 0.5 so I will am low from the start today Using the pool calc I added enough chlorine to be at 8 (usually measure a little on the heavy side)when I added the chlorine last night after the sun went down. So there must be something eating some extra chlorine. Time to get the shock process started before it gets out of control. Do you recommend I assume I have mustard algae right off the bat and slam it @ 29.5 ppm or would I be ok at 20 ppm? Almost seems like I should go for the gusto.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.