South Eastern Wisconsin
Test results as of 1 hour ago
FC 4.5
PH 7.8
TA 160
CYA 70
CAL 260
Salt 3400 ppm

Our TA is high and has been this season I would like to get it down but after reading how to do it I'm a bit confused. I used the pool calculator to try and adjust it using acid this didn't seem to effective. So as I understand it you lower your PH with acid and then add soda ash,as this will lower your TA but raise you PH?

Any help I know I'm over reading it thanks in advance

No. You add acid to lower pH and TA, then aerate to raise the pH back up so you can add more acid.

There is NO reason to bother doing this unless you think your pH is rising too quickly.

The process is in Pool School: How To Lower Total Alkalinity

- - - Updated - - -

Wow ... those 2 posts are nearly identical in structure with different wording :D

This is my first year w pool so I'm no expert but my experience is that it took repeated applications of acid to get TA down. I'm finally down from 150 to 50 now. Added acid to get ph down to 7.0 or 7.2. The ph tends to climb back pretty quick anyway so don't get to anxious about aeration But you will have to keep dropping it down w acid every 3 to 4 days to finally get your TA down. Took about 3-4 weeks for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.