upgrading pump to variable speed

hi, first post, been reading alot and want to save money by changing the old 2hp pump to an variable speed model.
a certain deal site has 2 pumps:

Hayward SP3400VSP
and
Pentair 11018 Variable Speed Pump 230-volt.

will either one be easier to work with my existing controls: Aqualink RS4
and
is either pump better than the other, assuming they are the same price.

thanks for the input, the pool was installed in year 2000, so its likely just as old.

i was reading that intelliflow pump can work with aqualink rs4 with a additional intellicom II module for about $150 or maybe i can rig it somehow.

the deal is going for a few more days and the site is woot.com if anyone else is interested, end up being $700, and hoping to get $200 back from electric company rebate.

Yes, an IntelliCom II will allow any automation system to control an IntelliFlo. However, you will need one available relay in the automation system for each pump speed you want to be able to use from the automation system.

as expected the aqualink is original 6522 revision HH

it sounds like i will require the intellicom, ill have to look if i have enough relays to operate? i think ill need 3 relays for the high/low/spa modes, correct?

is there a cheap hack to do it, like buy a used power center board or cpu, or should i just go the full iaqualink route, when i can afford it?

as expected the aqualink is original 6522 revision HH

it sounds like i will require the intellicom, ill have to look if i have enough relays to operate? i think ill need 3 relays for the high/low/spa modes, correct?

is there a cheap hack to do it, like buy a used power center board or cpu, or should i just go the full iaqualink route, when i can afford it?

According to Amazon, the Intellifo to work with Jandy, you need the Iaqualink 900-RS module. the Intelliflo board is useless..

here is my current setup:
-filter pump and waterfall are separate 2HP pumps
-spa and pool light are on separate relays.
-there are 2 JVA one on input and one on output for spa/pool mode.
-also a spa side switch that needs to be replaced. (they originally installed the switch under the water level, is this ideal? should i relocate this if and when i replace the switch?)

Well i found an intellicom II for cheap on ebay, so I'm going to give it a shot in keeping the rs4. Even though I'm really limited on buttons on the controls that are inside the house. I figure i can combine the spa and pool light to free up one aux button. Which would allow 2 speeds. Would this be sufficient? Is there another speed I'm in need of, if so maybe i can rig something...

filter pump = speed1-faster speed to operate the creepy crawly (this mode also turns on when spa button is selected)
2nd aux = speed2-lowest setting possible to turn over water.

also of note are possible extra aux outputs i can use in case i need more outputs:

Spare Auxiliary. With firmware prior to Rev. I this socket is on when
the filter pump is on and the system is in pool mode.

Solar Auxiliary a 4th possible speed i can use, even if it makes the controls a bit more complicated to the end-user

Attachments

• power center.jpg
    power center.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 43
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.