saltwater system compatibility with new pool

Jul 2, 2014
Versailles
Hello!

I am a newly registered user, and I have a question regarding the compatibility of a recently purchased saltwater system with a pool I just purchased.

WHAT I HAVE

The pool is an Intex 12 x 30 metal frame pool...Water Capacity (90%): 1,718 Gal (6,503 L). It includes a 110-120 volt Filter Pump with 530 gallon (2,006 L) per hour flow rate.

The saltwater system is the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model #CS8110.

MY ISSUES

1. The saltwater system did not come with adapter pieces to connect between the pump and pool. Hose size is different.

2. I'm not sure if the saltwater system will even work since I realized after purchasing that it required a 700 gallons per hour flow rate pump.

MY QUESTIONS

1. Will the saltwater system work with the size pool that I have? The instruction manual only shows a minimum size of 2000 gallons.

a. If the answer is no, then I simply will have to go the chlorine route and use the pump I have or buy a bigger pool.
b. If the answer is yes, how do I make it work in regards to amount of salt and run-time of saltwater system...please continue on to question #2.

2. If I get the adapter pieces from Intex, can I make the saltwater system work with the 530 gph flow rate pump?

a. If the answer is no, then I will need to buy a pump that has a minimum flow rate of 700 gph.
b. If the answer is yes, how do I make it work?

Helping to give me direction on this would be greatly appreciated. I have 4 small children and I would like to have peace of mind that I'm maintaining the pool properly.

Thanks!

jpcbarlow

Hi, welcome to TFP! The intex SWG will need a larger pump to have a sufficient flow rate to operate correctly. You can buy a larger intex pump/filter combo and an Intex hose conversion kit to convert the 1 1/4" fittings on your pool to 1 1/2" fittings that will connect to your new pump.

The best investement you can make in your pool is a high quality test kit, such as the Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 . These kits are far more reliable than test strips and will allow you to test your water as needed without having to drive to a pool store for your results. When you have a high quality test kit you will know if your water is clean, sanitary, and well balanced for your kids' comfort, safety, and enjoyment.

Thank you for the input zea3! This helps a lot but I still have some things I questioned that remain unanswered.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could specifically address the questions I asked. Questions #1 and #2 along with the comments noted under each question.

Thanks!

I have answered your questions in red inside your quote.
Hello!

I am a newly registered user, and I have a question regarding the compatibility of a recently purchased saltwater system with a pool I just purchased.

WHAT I HAVE

The pool is an Intex 12 x 30 metal frame pool...Water Capacity (90%): 1,718 Gal (6,503 L). It includes a 110-120 volt Filter Pump with 530 gallon (2,006 L) per hour flow rate.

The saltwater system is the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model #CS8110.

MY ISSUES

1. The saltwater system did not come with adapter pieces to connect between the pump and pool. Hose size is different.

2. I'm not sure if the saltwater system will even work since I realized after purchasing that it required a 700 gallons per hour flow rate pump.

MY QUESTIONS

1. Will the saltwater system work with the size pool that I have? The size of the pool matters only in that the larger capacity pools have the correct size fittings to connect to the Intex SWG (saltwater chlorine generator). You would need to buy the Intex hose conversion kit to convert the 1 1/4" fittings on your pool to 1 1/2" fittings needed to install the SWG. Your main problem is the pump that came with your pool has an insufficient flow rate to operate the SWG. You need a pump with a minimum 700gph flow rate if you want to use the SWG. The instruction manual only shows a minimum size of 2000 gallons.

a. If the answer is no, then I simply will have to go the chlorine route and use the pump I have or buy a bigger pool. The problem is not the size of the pool but the flow rate of the pump.
b. If the answer is yes, how do I make it work in regards to amount of salt and run-time of saltwater system...please continue on to question #2. If you decide to use your current pool and purchase the hose adapters and larger pump, the Intex SWG requires 25 pounds of salt to every 1000 gallons of water. You have to experiment with the chlorine % and run time to find what will work for your pool.

2. If I get the adapter pieces from Intex, can I make the saltwater system work with the 530 gph flow rate pump? No.

a. If the answer is no, then I will need to buy a pump that has a minimum flow rate of 700 gph. Yes.
b. If the answer is yes, how do I make it work?

Helping to give me direction on this would be greatly appreciated. I have 4 small children and I would like to have peace of mind that I'm maintaining the pool properly.

Thanks!

jpcbarlow

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.