What kind of pad is this?

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
I'm in the middle of replacing our AGP's liner. I expect to find sand at the bottom because of the squishy and uneven feel over the years. Instead we found this (very stinky too):

pool_pad2.jpg

It almost looks like wall foam duct-taped together.

Should I try to keep? It is kind of wrinkly and uneven. Do I need to go ahead and pull/smooth out the sand?

Thanks.

An update:

• I pulled the duct tape from the seams and removed the foam pad stips from the floor.
  • Wet, uneven sand is underneath with croppings of what appears to be an older liner - not sure if it covers the whole floor.
  • I'm trying to clean the foam and put it back in.
  • Also trying to smooth out the sand without making things worse with footprints. Not doing too good in this department.
Still not sure what's the story with the foam. Almost looks like a building material item.
Does the sand need to dry?

Thanks.

How about hauling in about 2-3 tons of clean sand an wet it down, level it out and tamp it down by working from one end of the pool to another. I did this with my last pool. I had the time to spend on it... It turned out really nice. :goodjob:

Clean sand. Tell them you're using it for a swimming pool base and they'll hook you up. :goodjob:

Looks like something called happy bottom foam pads. had that under mine one time.

Re: What kind of pad is this - follow-up:

Okay - a follow-up:

After researching the sand option, time and logistics were not on my side. I smoothed the floor craters out as best as I could with pool vermiculite but it was not fun to work with. Then put the pads back on and re-taped.

Went ahead this morning with the help of some family (critical for this) and un-boxed the liner, rolled out,and installed. I am currently at this point, fer inches of water, working out the floor wrinkles.

IMG_20140704_170458192_2.jpg

Portofino anyone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got the same liner Onslow! We're on the second year with it and I still love it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.