Public pools- Yeah!

Jun 21, 2008
Central MD
So I took my family to Hersheypark last week. (GREAT park BTW- we go there a lot and love it)

My youngest wanted to get in the kids wave pool, so we head that way. I've been reading this and the other site for awhile so I am already a little creeped out by public pools. Anyway, we get there and at the entrance is a sign stating that one of their younger guests didn't make it to the bathroom in time. You guessed it- a little baby ruth.

Anyway, my questions pertains to sanitation. The sign stated that the public health codes dictate that they close the pool for an hour for cleaning and sanitation. What FC residual would you need to sanitize such an event in only an hour? Or is there some other way to sanitize such a large body of water? I was wondering if they used ozone or something similar. But it is a fairly large pool and using Cl, you could boost the levels pretty high, but they wouldn't come back down in only an hour.
So what protocol might they be following?

wmshay6 said:
So I took my family to Hersheypark last week. (GREAT park BTW- we go there a lot and love it)

My youngest wanted to get in the kids wave pool, so we head that way. I've been reading this and the other site for awhile so I am already a little creeped out by public pools. Anyway, we get there and at the entrance is a sign stating that one of their younger guests didn't make it to the bathroom in time. You guessed it- a little baby ruth.

Anyway, my questions pertains to sanitation. The sign stated that the public health codes dictate that they close the pool for an hour for cleaning and sanitation. What FC residual would you need to sanitize such an event in only an hour? Or is there some other way to sanitize such a large body of water? I was wondering if they used ozone or something similar. But it is a fairly large pool and using Cl, you could boost the levels pretty high, but they wouldn't come back down in only an hour.
So what protocol might they be following?
for a formed stool only slightly elevated chlorine levels are needed. It's when there is loose stools that prolonged shocking at high chlorine levels is needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.