New SWG high chlorine

Dec 18, 2013
Savage, Minnesota
I converted to salt a week ago, its a T15 cell and I was running it at 50%. Chlorine went from 9 on 6/28 to 11 on 6/29 then 14.5 on 6/30 so I lowered it too 40% chlorine is now at 13 on 7/2 so now I have lowered it to 30%. My CYA is between 65 and 70 and salt is 3200, PH went from 7.5 to 7.8 TA 190 I run my pump 24/7.

Does this seem correct? I thought with the size of my pool I would have to run at a higher %. I do have an automatic pool cover and I think that has something to do with it because when its covered I don't think I lose much of the chemicals.

The cover can make a gigantic difference. You probably actually have to watch out for that. If you adjust the percentage when the cover is on nearly all the time, it can be too low if you decide to leave the cover open for a couple of days.

so why did you decided to run your pump 24/7? That seems a lot. I run mine 10 hours a day and plan on dropping it back to 8 hours. 4 hours mid morning and 4 hours late afternoon to early evening. I know my pool is smaller so we are not comparing apples to apples. I have been checking my FC in the mornings before the pump comes on and comparing it to the FC in the evenings way after it's off. Like a couple of hours after. FC has remained the same at my target level.
SO my FC level/ SWG has been maintaining the FC throughout the day

I turned the SWG to 20% on 7/4 and had pool open 12 hours yesterday and a couple hours today before I tested the chlorine at 10.5 today. Should I put in on 10%? Anyone else with this problem?

As far as running the pump 24/7 if I ran it 50% the savings would be less then $250 for the 5 months it is open, so I am not really worried about that, my water has always been crystal clear so why change.

I turned the SWG to 20% on 7/4 and had pool open 12 hours yesterday and a couple hours today before I tested the chlorine at 10.5 today. Should I put in on 10%? Anyone else with this problem?

As far as running the pump 24/7 if I ran it 50% the savings would be less then $250 for the 5 months it is open, so I am not really worried about that, my water has always been crystal clear so why change.
$250 will buy a lot of beer and pool toys. Just sayin'.

I have an automatic cover as well as SWG. I find I can go quite low (sometimes down to 5% on the SWG, never over 30%) or entirely off for up to a week or so if the cover is on more than off. I am currently running my pump for 2 four hour shifts daily. I could cut that back more I suspect but it works well, and I'm enjoying keeping to pool open more to look at even if not actually swimming.
Don't forget that even though we have covers, they do need to be opened routinely to let the pool "breath" a bit and release any outgasses sitting under that cover. Also, I tend to keep my CYA a skosh lower than normally recommended for SWGs as the cover cuts down on losses to sun. If *ever* I have an algae problem (**knock wood, never had one yet!**) I figure it will be easier to deal with then. My CYA goal level is 50ish.

If your SWG is running the whole time your pump is, then most likely your FC will always be high.
The solution would be to put your SWG on a timer seperate from your pump. Then you could run your pump as long as you want, and your SWG will only make Chlorine as you require it to. Doing this will also greatly extend the life of the Salt Cell

I had my looploc solid cover on all of May and June while my deck/porch was under construction. I had my SWG at 15% with pump at 6 hours a day and still had FC of 10-12! That's a good thing. No problem with lowering the percentage to the level you need. Personally, I'd cut your run time down to 4 hours AM and 4 hours PM and run the entire time it's being swam in. Save some power and wear/tear. You're not getting stuff in the pool with the cover on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.