PoolMath - Salt Level and CSI

Jul 29, 2013
Ok i've been using this tool to determine if i'm balanced, but have a few questions.

First when i select the selected goal levels for a trouble free pool, SWG, vinyl liner. Nothing is put in the Salt field and TA is 100 which i thought it should be lower and CH is 260 which i thought you don't need any at all.

My pool current measurements are

FC 4.5
pH 7.5
TA 120
CH 170
CYA 50 (could be a little higher since i only added more a couple of days ago)
Salt 3200
Temp 84-86

Now temp 84 CSI is -.31 just out of 'Balance' and Temp 86 is -.29 just in 'Balance'

As the temp drops it goes more out of 'Balance' unless i raise my CH, which i should not have to

Rgds

Ok i've been using this tool to determine if i'm balanced, but have a few questions.

First when i select the selected goal levels for a trouble free pool, SWG, vinyl liner. Nothing is put in the Salt field and TA is 100 which i thought it should be lower and CH is 260 which i thought you don't need any at all.

My pool current measurements are

FC 4.5
pH 7.5
TA 120
CH 170
CYA 50 (could be a little higher since i only added more a couple of days ago)
Salt 3200
Temp 84-86

Now temp 84 CSI is -.31 just out of 'Balance' and Temp 86 is -.29 just in 'Balance'

As the temp drops it goes more out of 'Balance' unless i raise my CH, which i should not have to

Rgds
You can go as negative as you want on CSI with your vinyl lined pool. You won't be leaching Calcium out of the plaster and etching the surface. If CSI goes positive, you run the risk of scaling, same as everyone else.

Again: Low CSI doesn't matter on a vinyl pool

Setting up the Suggested Goal Levels section towards the bottom causes little "Goal: x - y" messages to appear, but it doesn't change whatever number you happen to have in the Target column. You need to enter the Target numbers yourself based on what you are trying to do.

Goal levels for salt vary widely depending on what brand of SWG you have, so it doesn't show a goal level for salt.

By and large you should just completely ignore the CSI section. As long as you stay in our recommended ranges you don't have to think about CSI at all. CSI only becomes important if TA or CH levels have to be well outside of our recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.