Leveling for 21' round pool

Hello. I'm installing a 21' steel wall pool. My yard is slightly slanted so one side needs 18" dug out to meet the lowest point on the other side, My question is, how level does my ground need to be? I've reached compacted clay and after 3 days of raking and rototilling I cannot get any further. It's like concrete. I'm within 1 1/2 inches, but not sure if that's ok. Do you think I can backfill an inch with this clay on the low side if I pack it? That would even it out.
Thank you, Mrs D.

We were in the same boat as you! We had bought a 21' round pool and had 18-24" to dig down when we hit red clay. We were within 3/4" level around the edge where the pool wall was going to sit and a little high in the middle. My pool installer (not happy with him) just filled the middle with sand and was supposed to smooth it out (he didn't, but make sure you do). Trust me, you are going to want this thing to be as level as possible, because if not, every time you walk by your pool and it's a little lopsided, you're going to wish you had taken the time to do it right. Not only for visual pleasure, but safety reasons also.

Hello. I'm installing a 21' steel wall pool. My yard is slightly slanted so one side needs 18" dug out to meet the lowest point on the other side, My question is, how level does my ground need to be? I've reached compacted clay and after 3 days of raking and rototilling I cannot get any further. It's like concrete. I'm within 1 1/2 inches, but not sure if that's ok. Do you think I can backfill an inch with this clay on the low side if I pack it? That would even it out.
Thank you, Mrs D.

Can I use sand to level it all out? Some spots will have an inch or so and other spots will have none. Does this work? I am also putting down a Rhino pad so was going to skip the sand but I can get some if this will work.

Sand is ok for smoothing gouge (sp?) marks and such, AFTER you finish digging down to level. Even though it seems like it would work to build back up with the clay, it won't work. You have to remember your pool will weigh some where in the neighborhood of 85000 lbs when filled.

Keep digging. Spray it down with water at night and work on it in the day. You've got to get it level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.