Pumping out, lowering CYA trying to beat algae

Jack Strap

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 21, 2014
Allentown, NJ
I'm new to the forum, my first post was about an ongoing battle with mustard algae that resulted in me pumping out the pool to about 12" to lower my CYA level that was over 200. The water will be at about 12" today and I have a truck coming to fill tomorrow morning. I was going to vacuum to waste any visible algae in the bottom of the pool this afternoon.

I believe the correct thing is to SLAM the pool after it is refilled? Then test to see if the chlorine has dropped overnight, keep slamming until the level does not drop? Should I slam to the algae level? Is it safe to swim in the pool during the slamming process? Should I do anything to the filter?

Should I post my test results after the re-fill for guidance?

After I have the chemistry straightened out I'd like to go to a SWG, I have someone coming over to give me a price today.

Thanks for the free advice!!!!

Why not jump in with a brush and some bleach. Add some bleach and brush it around to circulate before the fill truck comes? Do it again an hour or so later and keep your chlorine level up to shock level. If you are at home all day what a way to get a good head start!!

Your plan to SLAM after refill sounds good as your description indicates presence of organics.

If you know your CYA level it is safe to swim up to shock level.

Hi Jack! It's best to keep your posts all in the same thread instead of starting a new one. The Moderators will probably merge them. Vacuuming any debris to waste, in my opinion, is always a good idea. The less in the pool to deal with, the less you have to do.
Have you read through Pool School yet? What kit are you testing with? (This is why its a good idea to keep everything in one thread. If you answered these questions already we would know.)
If you read through Pool School and how to SLAM a pool, you know you want your CYA adjusted first. You will then need to adjust your PH and start the SLAM process. Get your pool going with bleach, SLAM if necessary and you can deal with the SWG later.
Post some answers and test results and we will get you started! Good luck.

Thanks for the tip on not starting a different thread, all part of the big learning curve here. I'm testing with a FAS-DPD. I'm going to pump down to about a foot, test the water and add as needed (based on the estimated gallons I will put into the calculator) to have the PH and CYA adjusted, then add enough bleach to get it to slam level for the height that it's at today prior to adding water tomorrow, I will also get in and give it a good brushing after vaccuming to waste, does that sound right? Then tomorrow after it's full I'll test and adjust again. I guess I'll get a case of bleach and I'm not sure, do I just get borax at the supermarket? or do I have to go to a pool store? If I have PH up from the pool store can that be used? Thank you again. I'll post as my journey to sanitation continues......on this thread

Congratulations on taking control of your pool. Which FAS/DPD kit did you get? We recommend the TF-100 for its versatility. You will need to perform a lot of tests at first so it is good to be prepared. Without some test results, it will be hard to determine what you will need. It won't hurt to stock up on bleach, borax and baking soda. You can buy all these at WalMart or at any grocery store. Read the ingredients on the bottles from the pool store, you will be surprised that they are the same thing you will get at the grocery store for much less! (PH Up for example) Read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals I just wouldn't go hog wild yet. I'm sure you will probably need to raise your CYA level. Wait until you test before you buy.
Make sure you take the time to read through all the threads in Pool School.http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/
I can't stress enough all the great information you can obtain by just doing that. You may be able to answer most of your own questions and get a better understanding and handle of what you are doing. Of course, our wonderful moderators and members will be here to help if you need it.

If the pool is already down to 12" I'd be careful vacuuming more out... I'm not sure how much of an issue it is for an above ground pool but I wouldn't want the liner to get wrinkled or messed up somehow because there's not enough water to hold it in place.

What does that 12" of water look like? Is it green and nasty and is there anything solid in there?

Can you even vacuum to waste with that low of a water level? (Other than starting a syphon..)

Maybe I missed something. I haven't had my breakfast yet! :)

*edit*

I read through your other thread and saw a couple people with the same concern about not taking too much water out of the pool.

Don't risk messing up the pool!

I think if it were me I'd add some bleach to what you have (Like GreatCanadian suggested) hop in and mix it around then wait for the water truck/refill and go from there with testing/SLAM.

The water is clear but I've been getting small amounts of mustard algae on the bottom for weeks and can't beat it. All the chlorine drove my CYA through the roof. I was going to leave about 18" to 24" then vacuum to waste anticipating it would use another maybe 6". I'm basically just starting over from scratch using the TFP method, not sure what my kit model is but it has the ability to test for about five different items, chlorine, TA, CYA, PH, hopefully that's the right one. Thanks again guys.

Sounds like you are starting to get a handle on it Jack. One of the most important aspects to doing this system is to be able to have reliable and accurate test results. Strike that..... it is the most important thing. It's the best weapon in your arsenal. It worries me that you don't know what kind of test kit you have. I'd like to see you start out right my friend. It will save you a lot of frustration in the long run. It would really be a good thing if you could tell us where you got that kit and what kind it is. Maybe even post a picture if you can. Just trying to help.......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I took everyone's advice, pumped down to 20" and removed any visible algae (there were only small amounts) using my cover pump like a vaccum. Then I put in a gallon of bleach and brushed the bottom. The truck is filling the pool now. Can I run the filter and heater today while I'm at work to get the pool warm enough to swim in tomorrow? I can't test and add what is needed until I get home from work later. I'm not sure if the filter needs to be cleaned or backwashed since I have had an algae problem, basically my questions are;

1) Do I tell my wife to turn on the filter now and do I need to do anything to the filter to clean it. I always vaccumed the algae to waste, thanks again guys.

2) Also, I just wanted to clarify the pool is safe to swim in during SLAM, correct?

Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get the hang of this a little and start using this method.

You can and should turn on the pump as soon as the water is half way up you skimmer.

I would do a deep clean of your filter to make sure you do not have any nasty in it. I might even do that BEFORE turning the pump on.........

Kim

I would definitely clean out the filter before you turn it on. Being that you have fresh water, it should be fine until you get home. You still need to find your CYA level to get your SLAM FC. I would clean the filter and get it going, adjust the PH if necessary , get your FC up at least to 10 and go swimming! As soon as you get the stuff for your kit obtain an accurate CYA, adjust your FC, do an overnight OCLT to see if a SLAM is neccessary. Go from there. Happy swimming Jack!

Cleaned the filter and vaccumed some visable algae to waste, my readings are FC 0, PH 7.2, TA 130, CH 100 and my CYA appears to be a little over 100, like 115, going to look up shock level and add enough bleach to get there

I just added 242 oz of 8.25% bleach that will get me over 10, I will test in a while and then again tomorrow morning and post the results, thanks again for the help, much appreciated

Shock level with a CYA this high is a lot of gallons of bleach....may have to dump more water......ugh!

I wonder just how high your CYA was before you dumped the water?

I do think you need to dump more water. With a CYA that high you will have to buy and use a LOT of bleach.

Hugs! It will be worth it in the end.

Kim

Bummer Jack. The CYA in that remaining water must have been through the roof! You should still be able swim this weekend if you maintain a half decent FC level. Either way you look at it, more water replacement will need to be done. Sorry man.

Yeah, I figured that out. My CYA was originally over 200 I didn't want to pump the pool down too low for fear of damage that was alluded to in this thread and on top of that I could only get 6800 gallons delivered in one truck. I'll measure my FC in the morning and see where to go to there, I could do another big empty or just do a foot a week and slowly work it down over a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I have vaccumed my pool to waste like fifty times in the last two months trying to beat this algae (I had surgery on my right arm 4/7 so most of it I did one handed), I have spent many many hours in pools stores, then I found this forum and drained half the water from my pool and apparently I've still got a ways to go so thanks for that hug I REALLY needed it!

Unfortunately, this is the repercussion of years of what the "pool stores" have been selling us. I was there a few years ago myself and banged my head against the wall for months until I found TFP and figured it out. Once you get this taken care of, you will have peace of mind that you can handle any situation that comes up with your pool and this will never happen again. Hang in there Jack.

Jack, At least you found TFP before it was too late.

I ruined my last pool using the pool store. My CYA was off the charts. The pool store would tell me to lower my water a couple of inches and all would be good AFTER I buy and add _____ what ever they were selling me that time.

My liner ended up kind of dry rotting due to the high CYA! It started just cracking all over the bottom and OUT the water went! I just sold the frame and equipment and said NEVER again!

Well hubby loved the pool and wanted another one. I told him we would have to find a better way to take care of the pool. I was NEVER going to the pool store again! He spend quite a bit of time on the computer looking and he found TFP. I ordered the test kit BEFORE we even ordered the pool! I wanted to make sure I could do the tests.

I am now glad we have the pool! It is so nice to mow (6.5 acres so a LOT of mowing) than go jump in the pool!

It can be done and done cheap once it is balanced.

Doing what you have done with only one working arm?? Good job! That had to be hard.

Here is another HUG!!! Good luck!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.