Borates Don't Drop?

Nov 5, 2013
Los Altos, CA
All,

I added borate to my pool back in April. Overshot my goal slightly and hit 50ppm. Not too high based on what I've read, so I was thinking I'll just wait for it to drop due to splash out, evaporation, etc. However, I still get a reading of 50 ppm. I will admit I find the borate strip test hard to read reliably, but am pretty sure I'm reading it correctly. By comparison my CYA reading have dropped over the same time from 75ppm to 60ppm. Am I missing something here?

Thanks !

I am assuming that you added water after the splashout? I would think your borates have dropped, but with the accuracy of borate tests, your similar readings are not uncommon. How are you testing? Add another 10 ppm if you wish. There is no harm. You know you were at 50 so 10 ppm should have you below 60 (since splashout), so you would still be fine.

Out of curiosity, what was your initial target? I'm just wondering why you targeted below 50.

Sorry for the late reply. I was traveling for the holidays. My target was 40ppm based on my reading here, but I wasn't concerned with 50ppm. Just higher than my calculations indicated I should get to :)

I have an auto-fill so with splashout I would have expected the borate ppm to drop. I'm using the Lamott borate test strip recommended on this site. I find them hard to read but seem to get consistent readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.