Variable Speed Pump Settings for Hayward Cleaner

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, as well as new to inground pools. Ours was just installed this summer.

We purchased a Hayward Vacuum and I was wondering the best settings for my pump to use this.

I have a deep drain and two skimmers that I can turn on and off. In order for the vacuum to work, I have to turn the pump all the way up (3450) and turn off the main deep drain, leaving the second skimmer on and the skimmer controlling the vacuum.

It works great this way, and the second skimmer has great suction and keeps the surface clean, but my concern is leaving the pump running at the speed for an extended period of time.

Any opinions on how often to run the vacuum and if the settings are ok?

Also any opinions on what to program the pump to so it doesn't run the electric bill up? I was setting it to 1750 when not in it and 2750 when using it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome to the forum.

Which VS pump do you have? An Intelliflo at 3450 would be pretty high and it shouldn't need to be that high. What is the filter pressure?

but my concern is leaving the pump running at the speed for an extended period of time.
That isn't really an issue other than energy use.

Sorry, I put all the info in my signature but it is gone now. It's a Jandy Pro Series Flo Pro. It will move a bit at 3000 but not very fast and sometimes stops when it hits an obstacle like a drain cover. Good news is it only takes a few hrs at the high speed to clean the pool, so I think I've got the setting down. Might tweak it a bit since I am still learning.

Thanks for the reply!

That was my problem before. With my pump on low, my pool cleaner would barely move. So I ran my pump on high speed for a few hours per day and on low a good chunk.

Now I have a robot and not only does it clean MUCH better than ever, my pump is on low speed 100% of the time. Saves energy and wear on my pump.

You should consider a robot!

Thanks twong1200. My only concern with the robot is whether it will collect the dirt particles. We have little to no debris on the bottom. The only things in the skimmers are bugs. There is a lot of construction around us, so the only stuff on the bottom is a layer of dirt. What robot do you have and it does it collect the dirt well?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.