Clear gel-looking stuff in water

Apr 21, 2014
United States
I left the SWG on boost overnight by accident. Today I have a clear gel looking substance floating in the water. It's clear, for now. I added 200 lbs salt when we opened the pool. We had issues and couldn't run the SWG for a couple weeks so I was using bleach to keep levels at 2ppm. Hasn't been that high since running SWG.

FC: .5ppm
pH: 7.6
TA: 60ppm
CH: nil
CYA: 40

I doubt if the gel has anything to do with the pool chemistry or swg. Maybe something blew or fell into the pool. You haven't added any clarifier have you? I'd get and keep some more chlorine in there though and try to skim the gel off...

Thanks. I'm thinking it's from a blue pool noodle the kids had in the pool because the gel seems to mostly be forming around pieces of that. Just had never seen that before. I added bleach last night, just to be safe. I'll clean the gunk out.

Also, I would not increase CYA until you determine if you need to perform the SLAM process.

Can you post a pic of the gel stuff?

We had issues and couldn't run the SWG for a couple weeks so I was using bleach to keep levels at 2ppm
With CYA of 40, you should keep FC between 3 and 7, and never below 3. Follow bleach/liquid chlorine FC/CYA rules when you are not using the SWG.

You know, that's what it looked like to me at first. Like wet diaper insides. No, no kids that small in the pool. I noticed this morning that one of the foam noodle-type water squirters seems to have lost its smooth coating. It's rough, like the foam is breaking down . It's also blue. I backwashed the filter this morning as brushing last night seems to have disturbed all manner of gunk in the pool and there was quite of bit of ick. It's running full speed again. I also had a low salt reading this morning and added a bag of salt. We had a substantial amount of rain last week and I'm thinking that's effecting the chlorine level. I'll go snap a pic of the stuff if the filter hasn't gotten it out yet.

Those foam toys only last about 1 year before they start breaking down and crumbling into the pool.

I just want to reiterate that if you left your SWG on boost overnight and still only register a 0.5ppm FC ... you have a problem in your water.

I would suggest following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process without the SWG and when you pass all 3 criteria to stop, raise the CYA and dial in the SWG.

Also, please add a more useful location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.