New Plaster - PH then Alkalinity or Alkalinity then PH Adjustment

Mar 26, 2014
Mesquite, Texas
I do understand that PH can fluctuate for around a year while the plaster cures. However, when you lower the PH, you lower the Alkalinity. I have the Stonescapes aggregated plaster and part of the warranty is to not let the PH go above 7.8. When the PH goes to 7.8, I always lower it because sooner, rather than later, it goes to 8.2.

However, every couple of weeks, the Alkalinity reading drops to below 80. When I adjust that, then I'm tackling an 8.2 PH reading immediately and so the cycle continues.

Is this how it should be? Get the alkalinity in range, deal with the PH, and then once the alkalinity lowers, do it all over again? Or do I not worry about the alkalinity until the PH finally settles, which could be a year away?

:confused:

If you are in the first month since plaster was applied, just keep the PH in range and let TA take care of it's self. Once it has been a month, you switch to maintaining TA in an appropriate range. That said, is the only reason you are trying to keep TA at 80 because of the warranty? TA down to 60 or 70 is alright by our recommended levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.