Installing a DE Filter

Jul 1, 2014
Boston
I ordered a Hayward DE pro-grid 36 and plan on installing it myself later this week. The pool is currently closed. I was wondering if I can install the new filter first and then open it or if I need to open it with the old filter, get it reasonably clean and then install the new filter.
One of the things that concerns me is that the manual says to add the DE through the skimmer initially. That kind of means I'll be adding it along with dirty green water.
I tried checking out some YouTube vids but in every tutorial about changing a filter the water is already sparkling.
I'd rather install the new filter before opening if possible.

Thanks.

I have a no name sand filter. There aren't any shut off valves between the pump and the filter or the pool and the filter. If the pool were up and running, is the pool water going to come out when I disconnect the sand filter? The pool is in ground and the pump and filter are obviously above the pool.

I have a no name sand filter. There aren't any shut off valves between the pump and the filter or the pool and the filter. If the pool were up and running, is the pool water going to come out when I disconnect the sand filter? The pool is in ground and the pump and filter are obviously above the pool.

Only the water in the filter will need to be drained. I think opening the pool and at least getting the algae killed and partially cleared before installing the DE filter would be the best course.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.