Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris Question

Have just successfully won a battle against black algae and am very proud and gratefully to report that I am now 100% on the BBB method of pool maintenance. Just this AM, after 3 days, got my TA to 100 using Waterbears method of lowering pH to 7.0-6.8 and then aerating. Worked great. Everything else in line and pool has never looked better.

Novice question -

What are the "guidelines", if any, for running my Polaris ? When to run it - when not to run it, etc ?

I have split my pump run times to 5 hours during the day and 4 hours at night.

I know it picks up "stuff" off the bottom but thought I'd read where it really doesn't add much "value" to the filter pump as a "swizel stick" to a clean pool.

Also, from a knowledge perspective, am assuming that CO2 gas venting through aeration decreases (on a % and\or volume basis) as pH rises and that is what leads to pH stabilization. Is that correct ?
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris Question

I run my Polaris 280 2hrs a day during the swim season and winter(we don't "close" our pool in SC) and 4hrs in the spring and fall when we have the most debris in the pool. My Polaris picks up everything including all of the sand my dog tracks in. Also I think it does a good job of stirring things up so the filter can catch them. Currently tied with my Intellichlor IC40 SWCG for the best money I've spent on my pool.
    Bill
    18' x 36' Freeform IG Gunite with 7' spa, Super Blue DiamondBrite, Pentair 1.5 hp circulation pump, Pentair 2.0 hp spa booster pump, Pentair Triton II Sand filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Jandy Laars LX 250k btu NG heater, TF-100 test kit from http://www.tftestkits.com/

3. Back To Top    #3

I am not on any set schedule with my 380. I usually run it at least every other day for a few hours though.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks both y'all. Have been running mine WAY too much (everytime I run the filter pump) . Thanks again
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet