New Pool Should I Add Borates

arin

Sep 21, 2013
Lincoln, Ca.
Ive read 'So you want to add Borates to your pool--Why and How' and im comfortable with the process but have a couple questions. Our pool is 9 months old and since the beginning I have been fighting PH rise which I understand from the forum is very common for a new plaster pool. I would like to utilize Borates for the crystal water along with good feel and hoping maybe I can slow down my PH rise. My questions are is there any issue with adding Borates to a newer pool or should I wait for PH to balance, and I noticed for chlorine pool the Borate procedure calls to raise TA to 100 is that to compensate for the adding the acid during the process? I am open to any additional feedback on adding Borates or your experience, I have been doing BBB method since the water went in the pool and my water has been great Im just looking to enhance it more and maybe save some chemical in the process.

There's no problem with adding them, but the probably won't save you any acid...you'll just have to add more of it less often, since it slows the rise by making the pH harder to change. I wouldn't worry about raising TA unless it's very low...<50 maybe.

I don't see a salt system in your signature, but if you do have one, borates will reduce the scaling in the cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.