Do I need to make adjustments?

Reddogdan

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
Current numbers:
FC. 2.5
CC. .5 (could this be from 50 june bugs in the skimmer?)
PH. 7.8
TA. 90
CH. 240
CYA. 50
Water temp 88 and sparkly.
Added 75oz for a target of 6. Will recheck in 30 minutes.
I know my minimum should be 4. But in this heat I can not, so far, hold that. Pool is open to full sun all day. Should I try to raise CYA? Is the level of FC that CYA protects a particular amount? If I raised the CYA , my target and minimum would be higher but I don't know if it would still protect down to the minimum.
Or should I just shut up and keep swimming?

Just curious, why is your target 6 rather than 8 if you're having trouble staying above 4 ? PoolMath says the FC range for 50 CYA is 4-8. If you raise to 8 I wouldn't expect it to drop below 4 by the end of the day unless something is living in your pool and not paying rent.

I'll leave advise about raising CYA over 50 to folks from Texas (and Arizona and California) where they have real sun ;)

It won't be, I've been targeting 6 for a couple of weeks. After reading Bridgman's post, I went back to pool math. I have never noticed the blue section at the bottom for suggested FC. Now I know where he got the 4-8. I'm gonna give that a try. Is there a correlation problem between cya chart and pool math?

I added another 11oz to get to target of 8. Now, we will see what happens tomorrow. Bridgman, if this works, you get my vote for "THE MAN" . I would buy you a beer if this is the secret if you weren't so far away. How close are you to Calgary?

Cya/FC chart for 50 cya shows 4 - 6. Am i missing something?

Nope, you're right. Chlorine/CYA chart in PoolSchool => Handy Reference says 4-6, PoolMath says 4-8.

Probably best if you read it as "4-<whatever it takes so that FC does not drop below 4 by the next time you regularly test>" ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I would buy you a beer if this is the secret if you weren't so far away. How close are you to Calgary?

I'm 3,597 km away going through the US and taking the Interstate (seems to be the fastest route). ~65 km north-east of Toronto.

If it works I'll raise a beer towards Calgary tomorrow evening :cheers:

EDIT -- oops, you're nowhere near Calgary either... so will raise in the general direction of Texas instead.

Thanks for the suggestion Butterfly, but for Texas, I'm thinking now that the 4-8 would be a better range. That and I have to be at work at 4am. If I'm below 4 tomorrow, then I'll do another OCLT for the fun of it. As to my other question, could 50 dead June bugs in the skimmer cause the .5 cc? It's actually probably less since the tube smells the drops and goes back clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The june bugs may have created just enough CC for your tube to 'smell' it, then it dissipated :p

It is not unusual for a pool to test positive for CC occasionally and during the day the sun could burn it off just as fast.

Happy Swims :snorkle:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.