In praise of Borates

astronaut888

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2013
southeast
Posted a couple of weeks ago about going ahead w/ borate (borax) addition

Added enough per pool math to bring borates to 50ppm (although I have yet to test for specific levels)
Well, a few days post addition I have noticed that my chlorine demand has dropped pretty dramatically.
Enough so that I had to test a couple of times to be sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

I was typically having to add around 90oz of 8.25% per day and it has now dropped to around 30oz per day.
That is with super high heat and sunny days here too.

The first day I noticed it was after a day FULL of people and even a dog or 2 jumping in randomly from time to time.

I don't know if something else is contributing to the lower chlorine demand, as it was steady for weeks leading up to adding the borax.

I also noticed that the water is exponentially easier on my eyes after the addition.

Super happy to have done it.

Posted a couple of weeks ago about going ahead w/ borate (borax) addition

Added enough per pool math to bring borates to 50ppm (although I have yet to test for specific levels)
Well, a few days post addition I have noticed that my chlorine demand has dropped pretty dramatically.
Enough so that I had to test a couple of times to be sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

I was typically having to add around 90oz of 8.25% per day and it has now dropped to around 30oz per day.
That is with super high heat and sunny days here too.

The first day I noticed it was after a day FULL of people and even a dog or 2 jumping in randomly from time to time.

I don't know if something else is contributing to the lower chlorine demand, as it was steady for weeks leading up to adding the borax.

I also noticed that the water is exponentially easier on my eyes after the addition.

Super happy to have done it.

Cool! I am just about to study up on borates and this lower chlorine usage is going to spur me on!

P.S. Cool profile picture!

Borates won't lower the chlorine demand. Can you post a full set of test results.

pH 7.5
CYA 50
FC maintained between 4 and 7
TA 80
CC Zero

Typically the FC was dropping to 3.5 or 4 most days - I check after sundown at about 9pm
I was adding 90oz to bring to 6.5 or 7 and doing the same day in and day out for weeks - I keep a logbook of additions and it was pretty consistent like clockwork except on totally cloudy days where the demand would drop a bit
I wanted to be pretty sure that everything was in check before adding Borax

The only other difference I have noticed other than the affect on Cl demand is that my pH has wanted to drift a little bit higher than it was doing previously, but hasn't gotten above 7.8.

Like I said - likely a coincidence - but, the numbers have certainly changed. For the better - at least for now (!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.