Calcium chloride

Sep 21, 2013
Seattle, WA
With a new house came a new pool. I've been lurking on this site for quite a while and over the past few days was able to successfully open our pool for the first time. Following the pool school instructions with a TF-100 kit couldn't have been easier.

According to my tests my CH level is to low (~125). Trying to source inexpensive calcium chloride in the Seattle, WA area in the summer is proving to be difficult. I found this on Amazon and I was wondering if this would work. From my reading and understanding I believe it should but without being able to find an MSDS I'm not sure of the exact composition.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3EY8IY6FYPB83

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum :wave:

From Pool School Recommended Chemicals:
Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.
What about the hardware stores?

Thank you for the response. I've looked through all of the surrounding Lowe's and Home Depots with no avail. The local hardware store has some de-icer but it isn't calcium chloride. Given that it is (hopefully) a one time purchase I'm going back and forth with the idea of making the trek to a pool store to find some. Not exactly top on my priority list though as it will probably be significantly more expensive.

The Seattle area isn't exactly known for needing de-icer. When the roads get icy the whole area shuts down.

The Seattle area isn't exactly known for needing de-icer. When the roads get icy the whole area shuts down.
Hey! We do the same thing! :lol:

I have ordered online (I think from Ace Hardware) and even with paying shipping, still got it cheaper and it was delivered to my door.

Do you know how much you need? You can use the PoolMath calculator. Button in menu bar at top of each page.

btw, having a sand filter which will require backwashing, you will lose some CH (and other chems) with the backwashes. So, you will need to test and balance them occasionally. iow, you may need some more CH down the road.

Good luck!

Do you know how much you need? You can use the PoolMath calculator. Button in menu bar at top of each page.

According to the calculator I need ~30 pounds (depending on the form).

btw, having a sand filter which will require backwashing, you will lose some CH (and other chems) with the backwashes. So, you will need to test and balance them occasionally. iow, you may need some more CH down the road.

Correct. That is why I was leaning more towards getting a 50 lb. bag rather than pool store stuff. What I've found on Amazon at $58 for 50# appears to be around the best I can find in stock for this area and/or the time of year. I'm wondering if the stuff on Amazon will work alright or if I should be wary of it since there isn't a specific MSDS available.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.