Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what about floc ???

1. Back To Top    #1

what about floc ???

i've been doing b-b-b for the first time this year. my test numbers have been good but i just can't get the darn water to "crystal clear". what do you pool gurus think of floc? i did it once last year and it cleared things right up. thanx for your input.
    30' round above ground - 21000 gal. (shade ONLY in the evening),
    pentair dynamo 1.5 hp pump,
    pentair sand dollar 150 lb.sand filter,
    bbb method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what about floc ???

If everything is working correctly there isn't any need for floc. Proper chlorine levels and a working filter should keep the pool crystal clear. The only time I normally recommend floc is when you are in a great hurry to clean up algae fast and know that the algae is all dead.

So, yes floc can get the water clear, but you should also look into why the water wasn't in clear in the first place.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Since you have a sand filter I would try adding a bit of DE to the filter before I would try floc. Start with half a cup and mix into a slurry and pour it into your skimmer. Wait about 10 minutes and check your filter pressure. Repeat this until you get a 1 psi increase in pressure. When you backwash the DE will wash out but next time just add the full amount that causes a 1 psi increase in pressure. You should find it helps make your water much clearer.

If you overshoot 1 psi when you are doing this just backwash the DE out and start over.

4. Back To Top    #4

waterbear, that is cool! In layman's terms, what does DE do for a sand filter? I always feel like I see just a hint of cloudiness in my water, even after shocking and when my FC level is great.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tnthudson
    I always feel like I see just a hint of cloudiness in my water, even after shocking and when my FC level is great.
    That's called "sparklypoolenvy", a common delusion among TFP Supporters. It's all in your head. Just kidding.....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

You know what, I think you're right. I've become kind of obsessed, you should have seen me when my spa got out of whack, I was testing that water every night...hmmmm that reminds me, I've missed a day....
    Todd
    --------------

7. Back To Top    #7

waterbear, that is cool! In layman's terms, what does DE do for a sand filter? I always feel like I see just a hint of cloudiness in my water, even after shocking and when my FC level is great.
    In layman's terms you get ~ the filtering ability of a DE filter. What Waterbear said works very well for most sand filter owners! What it does is coat the top of the sand with the DE which catches the finer particles in the pool water. IMO sand with DE is the best way to go for ease of maintenance and water clarity!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

what waste said!

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow, that's great! One last question, I think it still relates well to this thread ... can we do this all the time with a sand filter (i.e. after every time we backwash)?
    Todd
    --------------

10. Back To Top    #10

Wow, that's great! One last question, I think it still relates well to this thread ... can we do this all the time with a sand filter (i.e. after every time we backwash)?
    Yes because each time you backwash you wash out the DE.

11. Back To Top    #11

OK great, thanks, I'll make a note to try DE instead of floc and see how it goes.
    Todd
    --------------

12. Back To Top    #12

Todd, make note of how much DE you use the first time and you can add it all at once after you backwash (please remember to 'slurry' it and add it slowly when you have to add more )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

13. Back To Top    #13

OK great, I made a note to do that...if anyone else here tries it for the 1st time, let us know how it goes and anything you notice as a 'noob' that we other noobs should look out for ... (shameless guinea pig ploy) 8)
    Todd
    --------------

14. Back To Top    #14

o.k.... interesting. couple o' questions though. don't give me too much of a hard time 'bout this, but i have no idea what "DE" is and i've never heard the term "slurry" (except when i've been drinking). so, a little clarification for the rookie please. thanx again.
    30' round above ground - 21000 gal. (shade ONLY in the evening),
    pentair dynamo 1.5 hp pump,
    pentair sand dollar 150 lb.sand filter,
    bbb method.

15. Back To Top    #15

DE= Diatomaceous Earth It's the stuff used in DE filters. You get it at the pool store and it's literally dirt cheap!
    Slurry means to mix it with water and make sure there are no lumps before your pour.
    One final thing, don't breath the dry DE powder...over a long time it can lead to silicosis.

16. Back To Top    #16

I never have completely sparkly water - at least not since the summer storms have started - because of dust. That stuff is so fine that when I try to vacuum it, I get some, but the rest just gets stirred up! Will floc help with dust?
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

17. Back To Top    #17

Floc causes any dust to clump together and settle to the bottom. If it is already settling to the bottom it won't help very much, but since the dust will clump a little it won't "blow around" as much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

Hey y'all! I'm quite new around here although I've been battling my pool off and on for 8 years! I finally figured out - thru your help here - that my local pool store really didn't understand water chemistry. So I'm tackling it myself.

In regards to this thread, I have used a bit of DE in my Triton sand filter to help clear the water (slurry through skimmer). About 1/4 cup raises my PSI 1 pound (seems like a small amount for a 20,000 pool). I've recently noticed that my water is slightly cloudy. At night, with the pool light on, I can see millions and millions of very tiny particles passing in front of the light.

I'm afraid this is DE that has escaped by filter. So my real question is, how to tell if that's the case? My Triton is 15 years old and although I don't have any sand in my pool, I'm thinking I may have a broken/cracked lateral. Does that make sense - DE but no sand?

Also, I assume the only way to get the DE out (assuming that's it) is to Floc the pool.

Thanks for getting me this far and I look forward to becoming a longtime member.
    20,000 Gallons of Dirt --> I'm just this close to filling my pool in...but my wife would divorce me and my kids would hate me. So I better figure this pool thing out!

20,000 Gal IG Pool
    Gunit / Plaster with Lagoon Finish
    Triton TR-60 Filter
    Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP Pump
    Kool Deck

19. Back To Top    #19

Seeing small particles at night by the light of a pool light is very common with any kind of filter. I doubt it has anything to do with adding DE.

20. Back To Top    #20

when is the last time you cleaned your sand or replaced it? sounds like you might have some channeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast