Ryan from Boston with test results

Jun 27, 2014
Peabody, MA
Cheers everyone,

I am new here. My second summer as a pool owner and I have put $250.00 in pool store chemicals into the pool so far and it is still cloudy gray. Decided I wanted to take control of my pool and ordered the TF-100.

I have done some lurking but would love any advice...Numbers are as of this past hour...

FC - 10 PPM, CC - 1.5, TC - 11.5, CH 575 PPM, TA - 150, CYA - 30, C1 3 BR 6, PH 7.5

Pool was light green /cloudy last sunday the 22nd, I brushed and vaccumed, backwashed 2 times within an 8 hour period. Monday I added another 3lb of powder shock and have had the filter on 24 / 7 since...I backwashed the filter again on Wednesday 6/25 and again yesterday 6/29/ Have added 2 chlorine pucks to the skimmer in the past week.

Do I lower CH, maybe replace sand (I belive its 4-5 years old), add some DE to the skimmer, try a skimmer sock?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ryan

19,300 gal
Inground - Vinyl
Hayward S200 Sand Filter
Hayward superpump 3/4 HP

Last edited:
Re: Ryan from Boston

High CH isn't your problem.
Sand doesn't need replacing.
DE added only at the END of the SLAM process is necessary.
Your SLAM level for cya of 30 is 12---don't fall below it.
Only backwash when filter pressure rises 25% over normal clean pressure.
Any crud still on the bottom of the pool?

You should follow the instruction sin Pool School on SLAMming your pool and use liquid bleach. Pucks won't get you there.
Welcome to the forum.

Re: Ryan from Boston

Hey woody. Thanks for the info! I will try this tomorrow when I get out if work. Some debris still on the bottom but not much. I lost a ladder bumper and had to dive down and Noticed some leaves still. Had a few people swim yesterday so it believe any last sediment may have been kicked up. What is a good amount of bleach to buy. 3-4 bottles of Clorox or similar? Like the pic btw. Seeing buffet in a month !

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What "powdered shock" were you adding? If cal-hypo, that is making your CH higher and could be contributing to the cloudiness. If dichlor or trichlor, that is adding CYA (just like the tablets are). you need to be careful you do not raise it too much.

Are you using PoolMath to calculate your dosages?

Hi butterfly. I can check the fill water when I get home tonight. I have added a few inches from the hose to compensate for evaporation and backwashing etc. I think my CH issue is from my local pool store directions where they instructed me to increase my CH during my initial opening 2 weeks ago. Not sure exactly how much I had put in then. I will follow up. Plan on starting a slam this evening after testing again.

This makes sense... That is why I won't be going to the pool store without some knowledge and numbers ever again... I plan on following what woody said above by grabbing some liq chlorine/bleach from the store and starting the slam process for the next few days... I should have been using liquid and keeping my shock FC high enough which I wasn't aware of when opening a few weeks ago.

I wasn't able to get a test in this morning before work...but had the same blue cloudiness I have had for the past week...shallow end (4ft) was just barely visible. I will test around 6pm again when I get home.

Does this sound like the right idea? Thanks again for your time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.