Preparing for the SLAM

Jun 30, 2014
Inman, SC
New to this site and the TFP method. I'm getting ready to slam my pool as its been cloudy all year and I finally lost the fight and it turned green.

So some back story before I get to my question. I've relied on the pool store since day one of owning a pool. Last year I've had nothing but problems with fighting algae. I have a 24ft ag pool, I've changed my sand in the filter this year. I bought triclor tables for my chlorinator at the recommendation of the pool store. I run my pump 24/7 all summer with tablets in the chlorinator. I've had enough of the fighting and a cloudy/green pool after finding this site.

On to my question, I ordered a the recommended test kit the one with 2006 and it comes in tomorrow. I want to go ahead and get everything I need for the slam. Should I go buy a 25lb tub of cal-hypo since CH isn't a huge deal for the vinyl liner or go buy a **** ton of bleach? I am off for a week due to the holiday and want to clear this pool up. I was planning on getting my chemicals ready like chlorine, baking soda and borax so when my kit comes in I can start immediately.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Do not buy baking soda and borax just because they start with a B. Only buy what your test kit indicates you need. Most members never need the 2 I just mentioned.

Low CH does not matter for a vinyl pool, but high CH is just as bad in a vinyl pool as any other pool. I would stick with bleach.

You should also order more FAS-DPD and CYA reagents as the K-2006 just does not come with enough ... there is a reason we recommend the TF-100.

Welcome! :wave:

Once you get your own kit and have that pool cleared, you'll be amazed at how cheap and easy it is to keep it that way. You'll be kicking yourself often and hard that you didn't take control years ago. Your electric bills will go way down, because you'll find just a few hours of filtering a day is adequate.

Be prepared to discover your CYA level is astronomical and that a partial drain is called for before you actually start your algae-killing spree. It's not guaranteed, but it's more common than not after the pool store loads you up with powders and pucks. If your first test shows CYA over 90, repeat it using the dilution method described in Extended Test Kit Directions.

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Is your fill water from a well or from municipal/county/city ?

Please add your pool and equipment specs in your sig. It will help us help you when you post your q's.

After you go thru the SLAM process, you are going to be a happy camper :party:

btw, after the SLAM, that pump run time will be dialed back and save you more $$$

:lovetfp:

About an hour into the Slam. Make sure I'm doing this right.

Cya: just below the 30 line so I said it was 32
TA: 70
PH:7.0 looked a grade off of the 7.0 mark so it could be in the high 6
CH: 420 still learning these test so don't know if that's right

I put 2.25 gallons of bleach in to start about an hour ago. Just did my first FC check and I was showing 4.5 so I added another 1.5 gallons of bleach based on pool math.

I'll add a photo in a few minutes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day two, 12 bottles of chlorine down. Looks like I'm going to have to make another trip to Sam's before I run out.

gu3e2ahu.jpg

I'm just curious if it would be OK for the kids to get in the pool. The kiddy pool just isn't cutting it for them
It'll slow you down some. You'll need to let the FC level dip below shock level while they're in it. And if you can't see the bottom, there is a certain risk to that. People have swum in dirtier lakes and public pools and waterparks and lived to tell about it, though.

If you do let them in, when it's time to get out, have them create a whirlpool by running around the edge and setting up a current just as they get out. When it settles down, any debris will be nicely heaped in the center for easier vacuuming.

Well I don't know what I could have done wrong but for some reason it seems my CYA has increased. I haven't added anything except one puck to the chlorinator due to the fact that I was about to run out of bleach and couldn't go to the store until today. Could one puck raise my CYA from 30+ to about 55? Should I just go with the 55 or try to drop it some? My pool is in the sun from sun up till the last few hours of the evening everyday so I'm not entirely sure if its a bad thing or not.

I stocked back up on bleach so I can finish this slam. I just did a check after adding 1.8 bottles of chlorox and my pool is showing

FC: 17
CC: 0
CYA: between the 50 and 60 marker so 55?
PH: 7.4
TA: 100

Do I need to adjust anything or just adjust my shock lvl to match the CYA lvl. I tested twice on the cya and got the same results each time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.