Just bought my first pool...

:flower: Welcome!

You should certainly order a good test kit so that it's there when your pool arrives. That is the very basis for managing a good, clean pool! There is a link in my signature to TF Test Kits. Pool store results are unreliable and the test strips just plain suck.

Then, between now and when the pool goes up, you should be reading....it's time for Summer Pool School! Read everything you can there and then read it again. It will eventually start to make sense.

Some good points of interest:

This talks about creating a signature and asking for help

This will get you to speaking the language

This is the ABCs of Pool Chemistry

You should really learn to understand this concept too

And just to round things out, POOL MATH! Best tool ever!

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
You won't regret buying the test kit. I love it! I'm in the process of helping a family member convert to the method they teach here. They have been puck and shock users for years and just couldn't understand how my water looks so clean and sparkly and there's, well lets just say not so much. Be sure to read and reread all the links provided. It may seem overwhelming but once you start doing it, easy peasy!

If you have the test kit in your hands before the water starts filling, you're going to be in great shape.

You know you'll need stabilizer. So you can start shopping for that. You know you'll need bleach, so you can hunt for bargains there, too. When you're out and about, look to see who sells acid and washing soda and borax. You don't which, if any, you'll need until you can test the pool water, but it's good to know where to go so you're not frantically searching on opening day.

Look for pool toys on sale as well.

Stabilizer is sold at any pool store, or walmart in the pool section (usually cheaper at walmart), lowe's, home depot, etc. It says stabilizer right on the container, The ingredients are listed as 99% cyanuric acid (CYA).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.