Pool light not working.....never removed

Jul 17, 2012
Forest, VA
Ok so I have had my pool open for a few months now.....the pool light does not work. I had a bad algae problem when opening this year. I have just left it alone and maintained the pool. From what I have been reading, I should clean behind the light fixture and make sure there is no algae behind the light and also try and replace the bulb. I am just really nervous about removing the light under the water....I understand that it is watertight and I won't get shocked. The conduit is about 14 inches above water level. Any tips/suggestions on to remove the light and also the best way to clean behind the light? I assume there will be pool water behind the light. Thanks!

Removing the light is usually very simple. There is typically a single screw holding a trim ring in place. Once removed the fixture will come right out of the niche. There should be enough cord to place the fixture on the deck while you brush out the niche. A few lights are more complex, but most are very simple.

As weird_tolkienish_f suggested, make sure power to the light is turned off before trying any of this.

I have never heard of removing the light to clean behind it. I sure hope no one is advocating this as it's only going to lead to other issues. However, since your light doesn't work, then yes you need to remove it to change the bulb and/or figure out why it's not working.

I have never heard of removing the light to clean behind it. I sure hope no one is advocating this as it's only going to lead to other issues. However, since your light doesn't work, then yes you need to remove it to change the bulb and/or figure out why it's not working.

It's recommended here quite often because it's a hiding place for algae. What issues should we be aware of?

I just have never seen or heard of anyone removing the light to clean behind it. I would be concerned that someone might pull on the cord too much and cause a leak or something else. I've cleaned many green pools and never had to remove the light. Interesting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.