New belt "belt loop" design on intex pool (and no safety rope at bottom?)

Jun 29, 2014
Pittsburgh pa
We've decided to go with an Intex pool (18' x 48") and set it up last night and were baffled by the new belt loop design around the outside (which is not mentioned in the video or pictured on the box). It seemed putting the belt loops on the inside would make the pool stronger but this seems to pull the legs inward. A quick google shows that other people have also been mystified by this design change, felt the inside position made more sense, but that the correct set-up is to have the loops on the outside.

Just wanted to hear from people how well this new design is holding up, if your pool made it through last season all right? (I think this change happened in 2013 so that's about as old as we're going to find)

Also our pool has no safety rope around the bottom. I keep seeing it mentioned as "optional." My pool does not even have slots for the rope as far as I can tell. How do people feel about this change? Did the ropes all just tend to rot over time anyway?

Haven't filled the pool yet, am a little leary of these things which seem like steps backwards in safety to me. I know the summer escapes/pro series pools don't have the ropes though so maybe they were really not needed.

Re: New belt "belt loop" design on intex pool (and no safety rope at bottom?)

From problems I have seen on this forum, I would buy a rope and put it along the bottom of the legs, just in case. Cheap insurance. Buy a marine grade quality rope, last for years in the sun.

Read the one of the newest posts entitled "posts not vertical"

Maybe I will to that... Or else wrap the entire thing in a set or two of ratchet straps??

I'm actually eyeballing a used one on CL right now, thinking we should return the new one to walmart. I just can't understand the design change, if they figured more give was better or if they are cheaping out. Surely it costs them MORE not less though to add the belt loops?

Ours has the belt loops and the rope. I think the rope is there mainly to help keep the legs upright before filling. Our rope isn't tight on the legs and I haven't noticed any shifting of the legs since filling it up.

Ours (we got it ... last year?) had instructions for the belt/loop that you are talking about, HOWEVER, they were printed on some cardboard separate from the rest of the instructions. It was inside the box with the pool. A sort of addendum I'm guessing, that shows how to properly insert the legs and stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.