Question on Jandy 90 degree check valve

May 26, 2007
Hi All,
I bought a Jandy 90 degree check valve so I could install it between my spa return and pump. Without the check valve my spa drains into my pool when the pump is off. Anyway, the valve directions state that it needs to be mounted with the flow of water going upward but my flow is going down into the ground. Not sure why they design a valve for pools when all of the plumbing is underground. How can it possibly go up.

Anyway, since it's a spring loaded check valve will it work if the water is going down?

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• 104-0402_IMG.JPG
    104-0402_IMG.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 104-0403_IMG.JPG
    104-0403_IMG.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 50
cruzmisl said:
Hi All,
I bought a Jandy 90 degree check valve so I could install it between my spa return and pump. Without the check valve my spa drains into my pool when the pump is off. Anyway, the valve directions state that it needs to be mounted with the flow of water going upward but my flow is going down into the ground. Not sure why they design a valve for pools when all of the plumbing is underground. How can it possibly go up.

Anyway, since it's a spring loaded check valve will it work if the water is going down?

Thanks,
Joe

If the water is draining from the spa through the return to the pool through the return, you don't have a lot of choice in where to locate the valve. With the flow of water going up through a check valve, gravity helps close the valve. Mounting horizontally would be second best, at least then gravity would not tend to open the valve. Once the valve closes and some water pressure builds up ahead of it, the pressure will hold it closed. You could install some extra piping before the pipe enters the ground if you want to follow the directions exactly, but since the Jandy valve is spring loaded I think it will work whichever way you mount it.

Just wondering how your check valve is working out. My spa drains periodically and it too is a spring loaded valve, but straight line not 90 degree. I believe my spa water level is only about 6" above the valve flapper when the manufacturers recommendation is 18". The valve tends to leak when my filter is dirty or I have been running a water feature that reduces flow through the valve after a long time. I cannot find a solution to the arrangement or find another valve that has better sealing without a heavier spring, forcing higher discharge pressure on the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.