Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on Jandy 90 degree check valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on Jandy 90 degree check valve

Hi All,
    I bought a Jandy 90 degree check valve so I could install it between my spa return and pump. Without the check valve my spa drains into my pool when the pump is off. Anyway, the valve directions state that it needs to be mounted with the flow of water going upward but my flow is going down into the ground. Not sure why they design a valve for pools when all of the plumbing is underground. How can it possibly go up.

Anyway, since it's a spring loaded check valve will it work if the water is going down?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on Jandy 90 degree check valve

Quote Originally Posted by cruzmisl
    Hi All,
    I bought a Jandy 90 degree check valve so I could install it between my spa return and pump. Without the check valve my spa drains into my pool when the pump is off. Anyway, the valve directions state that it needs to be mounted with the flow of water going upward but my flow is going down into the ground. Not sure why they design a valve for pools when all of the plumbing is underground. How can it possibly go up.

Anyway, since it's a spring loaded check valve will it work if the water is going down?

Thanks,
    Joe
    If the water is draining from the spa through the return to the pool through the return, you don't have a lot of choice in where to locate the valve. With the flow of water going up through a check valve, gravity helps close the valve. Mounting horizontally would be second best, at least then gravity would not tend to open the valve. Once the valve closes and some water pressure builds up ahead of it, the pressure will hold it closed. You could install some extra piping before the pipe enters the ground if you want to follow the directions exactly, but since the Jandy valve is spring loaded I think it will work whichever way you mount it.
    Currrent pool under construction: DIY Kafko steel/vinyl IG 26kgal 20x40 Kidney, sand filter, Triac spillover spa, Aqua Logic SWG
    Previous pool: IG vinyl 20x40 rectangle. Made all the mistakes - now reformed (mostly)

3. Back To Top    #3

Just wondering how your check valve is working out. My spa drains periodically and it too is a spring loaded valve, but straight line not 90 degree. I believe my spa water level is only about 6" above the valve flapper when the manufacturers recommendation is 18". The valve tends to leak when my filter is dirty or I have been running a water feature that reduces flow through the valve after a long time. I cannot find a solution to the arrangement or find another valve that has better sealing without a heavier spring, forcing higher discharge pressure on the pump.
    22,380 gl ig gunite, Pentair cartridge & pumps, Intellichlor SWG, 8' spa, flagstone sunshelf, stonescape midngt blu, duradeck

4. Back To Top    #4
    It works perfectly. My hot tub is still full in the morning. Depending on how old it is, you may want to replace the seal inside the valve and see if that helps.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .