I think I want to use 2" tubing...

Jun 24, 2014
Montreal QC Canada
In a previous post I was inquiring about the proper place a heater should take in a system (before the SWG). I was ready to go and buy tubing but made the mistake of reading too much and got caught up in the highly interesting but so complicated hydraulics 101 post.

80% of my tubing is 2", only the section following the SWG leading to 6 jets is 1.5". I'm starting to understand my pool is "different" because of all those jets in the sitting area and believe the 1.5" tubing is to increase psi?

Now, I'm about to add 2 valves to connect my heater (heat exchanger). This heater has 1.5" in/out connectors and will be located approximately 30' from the valves (adding 60' of tubing). I was told it's better to bring the cold water (pool water) further versus loosing precious hot water (water that will make a very short loop through the exchanger and return to the gas hot water tank).

Since the exchanger has 1.5" connectors should I keep the 2" size all the way and simply reduce/enlarge at the exchanger? Is there an advantage to use flexible tubing versus rigid? Don't 90° connectors of rigid tubing increase head loss thus advantaging flexible ones?

Many thanks

Smaller pipes are never an advantage. If there isn't too much of the smaller size, it isn't a big deal, but larger is essentially always better. Do you have a single 1.5" pipe to the jets? Or is there more than one pipe in parallel?

Flexible pipe has a higher internal resistance to flow, so over any longish distance rigid always wins. For short curved sections in tight spaces flex can be better. These differences aren't huge or anything, but do add up over long distances.

I don't understand your "versus loosing precious hot water" comment. What hot water?

Yes, a single 1.5" pipe apparently is powering up the 6 jets. I still have "some" access to the tubing, should I pick up my shovel and modify the layout?

My precious hot water comment refers to the fact my heat exchanger will be fed from a gas domestic hot water tank loop. Keeping this loop short is more energy ($) efficient from what I'm told.

So 2" pipe reduced at the heater is the way to go?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend using 2" pipe everywhere you can, with reducers to match smaller connections. It is well worth using 2" for anything you are installing anyway. Replacing existing runs with larger pipe is more of a tradeoff, you will get better circulation, but the expense/effort to replace working pipes isn't usually worth it.

You are correct, keeping the much hotter domestic hot water tank loop short is a good idea.

By the by, swimming pools require huge amounts of heat. Domestic hot water heaters are typically way too small to have much impact on a swimming pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.