Green pool, high phosphate 2500, zero CYA

Jun 7, 2010
Last year I didn't open the pool and open late this year. Pool was very green when I opened. We did some clean-up and I shocked couple of times and FC level to 12 that helped to make it little better but seems like a long way to go. Overnight the FC drops from 12 to 2.
These are my numbers
PH = 7.3
TA = 100
CH = 150
CYA = 0

I went to pool store and he mentioned my phosphate is very at 2500 and hence more chlorine will not help.

Please suggest, do I need to refill water, or take half off and refill or increase CYA first before spending more money on liquid chlorine. Please advice.

I use TFT Taylor kit for testing.

Hate saying this to someone who's been a member since 2010?! Back to pool school for you, read and understand our go to term "SLAM" and how to tell when your done SLAMING. The emphasis is on the MAINTAINING your high FC levels...not just raising it a couple times

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

You may very well have the dreaded CYA to Ammonia conversion if your at zero and it's not a fresh fill. I see it was not opened last year. Guess I'm not sure what you should do, but I think you need to find out if you have ammonia before you go adding any stabilizer. The ways I know to find that out is to either get an ammonia test kit or add some chlorine and test shortly after see how fast and how much disappeared and what your CC reading is...

Hate saying this to someone who's been a member since 2010?! Back to pool school for you, read and understand our go to term "SLAM" and how to tell when your done SLAMING.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

You may very well have the dreaded CYA to Ammonia conversion if your at zero and it's not a fresh fill. I see it was not opened last year. Guess I'm not sure what you should do, but I think you need to find out if you have ammonia before you go adding any stabilizer. The ways I know to find that out is to either get an ammonia test kit or add some chlorine and test shortly after see how fast and how much disappeared and what your CC reading is...

Sorry, and to directly answer your question....Phosphates are pretty much irrelevant to the TFP tried and tested methods. You do not need phosphate removers, you do not need to drain water to lower your phosphates. We need to find out if you have ammonia, get your CYA to 30 and start the SLAM process as written in the How to. Regardless of any of these variables...that answer is going to be MORE LIQUID CHLORINE...MORE MORE MORE :eek:

Do you have liquid chlorine on hand? enough to raise it to slam level for 0 CYA and test your FC and CC's after 30 minutes?

Per my understanding getting CYA back to 30 would take few days. So, any algae killed last few days will come back if I do not continue to shock. Also, how do I test if I have Ammonia?

Am I better off, remove water and refill. Would that be cost and time effective?

Getting CYA to register (show in the test) at 30 will take a few days...as soon as it's dissolved, it's there and your good to go. Maybe I'm jumping the gun throwing out ammonia too soon, it was just that your at zero cya and it's not a fresh fill. I just don't want to advise you to add enough CYA to reach 30, and then slam if there is a chance you have ammonia. I'm not sure the effects of adding CYA in that circumstance.

They sell ammonia test kits in the fish department of stores that have a fish department. The other way is to add chlorine and test your FC and CC's after 30 min....if it's all gone with high CC's there's a good chance you have ammonia. That was why I asked if you had enough chlorine to get to SLAM level.

I guess the main question if someone comes by that would need to be answered....is there any negative effects of adding stabilizer to a pool that's gotten a case of ammonia? I would hate for you to add stabilizer only for it to get converted to more ammonia

You should raise CYA to around 30. It does take some time for all of the CYA to dissolve, but enough will dissolve early on that you can treat the pool as if it all dissolved after 24 hours. Or to put that a simpler way, you don't have to wait for the CYA, just go ahead and add it and don't worry about it. Fighting algae is way easier when CYA is around 30.

If you never read an FC level above 0.5 and your CC level is very high then you probably have ammonia. You have had fairly high FC levels quite recently, so ammonia is not an issue here.

Just ignore your phosphate level.

Well then, I made that difficult for nothing throwing the ammonia flag out too soon =(

Makes it easier for you. Do you have stabilizer and chlorine on hand to start tonight? Working at night is a very good time because there is no sunlight to consume any chlorine and it all goes to fighting the greenness. You would still have to maintain SLAM levels during the day, but if your schedule permits working late into the night, or setting an alarm throughout the night can be a good way to speed things up.

Not sure of your location, but Menards just put their 12.5% liquid chlorine on sale if your in one of those states.

Here is the current standing : last night with doubt of ammonia in the water, i didn't add any additional Chlorine.
Last night FC 5
Morning FC 1.5
Morning CC 1.5

So, I plan to go get the Stablizer to get cya from zero to 30. I start the SLAM process in parallel.
Am I on the right track?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks!
I put in stabilizer in a sock and left it on both side of skimmer. I started with 2 Gallon liquid Chlorine, tested an hour later, FC=8. I put another 2 gallon and checked again after an hour. Now FC = 13 and CC=.5.
I am eager to see the outcome in the morning before I slam it with more.

Here are some new stats for early morning:
PH = 7.3
TA = 65
CYA = (Stablizer in skimmer since last night, in-progress)
FC=8 ( last night 13)
CC < .5
I still cannot see the floor the Pool. Anything else I need to do. I added another Gallon of Chlorine. Motor is continuing to run since last night.
Too hot in Jersey today and I do not have pool cover.

Yep, keep checking chlorine and bringing up to slam level. As many times a day as possible. Be patient and don't get frustrated - probably take a few days but will be crystal clear soon! :)

Here is reading for today:
My FC dropped from 8 to zero between 7am - 11am. I had to add more Chlorine. Why would drop so much during the day as compared to night?

Need help! My pool is still cloudy/hazzy. It was a green before. I followed the SLAM instructions but it doesn't seem clear up. What should I do next?
PH = 7.3
TA = 65
FC=10 (should I increase it further again?)
CC < .5

I also noticed recently my PSI dropped from 30 to 18. Everything in skimmer and near pump is clean. What could be the reason for drop in pressure.?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.