New pool set up. HELP PLEASE!!!

Jul 22, 2008
Good Evening all,

I am a complete newb in the pool world. I just purchased a Intex above ground pool. The measurements are 18' x 48". I set it up on a nice level surface and it looks great. I have also filled the water to capacity. My only question now is where do I go from here? I know I have to add chemicals with the pump running. My question is...where do I begin? I bought a shock treatment as well as stabilizer pellets, PH add, PH decrease, Alkaline and Algae destroyer. Do I shock first and then add from there after testing the water? Any help would be great. I use city water and was told that I would not need a hard water treatment. I cant wait to let my kids swim but I want it all ready for them before they do. Id appreciate any answers that would point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Paul

Welcome to TFP!

You will find many of the folk on here use the BBB method which is really just the cheaper versions of those fancy chems you bought. You can read about them if you want to try and return them, and go with BBB, or you can use em, since you got em...

I would suggest you start by reading everything in pool school. It will give you all the information you need to get started, specifically recommended levels, ABC's of water chemistry...

You want to get some chlorine in your pool, to prevent algae. You won't need algaecide if you properly chlorinate your pool. Most of us on here use liquid chlorine, aka bleach.

You need to add the stabilizer, otherwise the sun will destroy your chlorine.

So do some reading, and post your questions back here. Check out the Pool Calculator in my signature and play with it to see how it works, because that's the tool you will be using to figure out how much chems to add to your pool.

Good luck, we're here to help in any way we can, don't hesitate to post your questions, it can be very overwhelming at first :wave:

Paul, congratulations!! on your new pool and Welcome to TFP!!

Before using the pool you want to add some chlorine to it!

Before adding the other chems you have, you want to read Pool School (link in my sig below) :wink:

I'll tell you now that you want to get a good test kit!! (one is in my sig, but there are a couple others that will do the job - when you read Pool School, you'll see an article on 'comparing test kits', be sure to read that!)

The best place to start is reading Pool School, after that -- if you have ANY questions, we will be here to answer them :-D

Ah, FPM got in before me :goodjob: (I hoped she was still rolling on the floor laughing :wink: ) -- the info is still the same, to wit: a little reading and a good test kit will be the best thing you can do for your pool and those who use it :thumleft: