Pool testing fail - please help!

stisso

Jun 30, 2014
canada
Hello! I just bought a wee Intex 8-foot easy set-up pool. I was a bit overwhelmed with the process of adding chemicals (should have spent more time researching first!) and now I'm afraid I've started off on the wrong foot. We filled it yesterday but didn't add anything until today. I first added stabilized chlorine, and then algicide liquid (I believe I should have done the reverse - oops?).

We are using the HTH 3-step liquid test and some strips, for good measure. Every time I test (which I did before adding chemicals two hours ago, and a few times since then) I get wildly different results on the strips and the HTH test. On the strips, everything is too low, and the chlorine is non-existent. On the HTH liquid test, everything is off the charts. I tested my tap water for kicks, and I get virtually the same disparate readings (for example, a PH level of 8+)

The kids are yelling at me to go swimming. I have no idea what to do. Can I let them swim? When and how do I try to balance the chemicals? What is going on with these tests? Please help...thanks so much!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We NEVER recommend using test strips ... they are not accurate or consistent. Also, we typically do not recommend the use of algaecides, but the order you added should not matter.

Can you provide the volume of the pool and a list of exactly everything you have added (ingredients included).

I would trust the drop test more than the strips. Is it a new kit? Ideally you would get one of the Recommended Test Kits, but that may cost more than the pool.

Check out the article for seasonal pools: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools

Thank you for replying.

The pool is 590 gallons (2,300 litres).

I bought a chemical kit for small pools, which included the algaecide - I'm comfortable switching if it's not recommended to use them. I'll read the article on small pools for reference.

Two hours ago I put 8.6 grams of stabilized chlorine granules (Dichlor) into the pool, and 86ml o f algaecide.

I am using a new HTH test kit. I just tested the water again (it's been just over two hours) and I'm getting a PH reading of 8.2, a chlorine reading somewhere between 1.5 and 3 (can't really tell which colour it matches better, but I think it's closer to 3). The bromine level is 6.5. For the record, my tap water gives almost the same results...? I followed the instructions for the test so I'm pretty confused.

So...uh...can my kids go swimming? Do I need to bribe them with something else? Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

What kind of chlorine granules? Dichor or Trichor?

Assuming dichlor, that would only add a little over 2ppm of FC to the pool according to PoolMath which matches your reading. Forget bromine part of the test, you do not have bromine in the water.

The high pH might be a little irritating to the eyes, but not dangerous. Swim away. ;)

You can use the granular chlorine you have for awhile and just track how much you use so you know how the CYA is rising. The CYA determine the amount of FC required according to the FC/CYA Chart. If you just keep measure the FC level and keep it in the 2-3ppm range for the next 2 weeks with the powder, likely then you CYA will be in range and you can switch to bleach.

Thanks - that's all very helpful. :)

Should I be doing anything to lower the PH? I did buy some PH - at the store today, just in case.

The kids are very pleased to hear they can give themselves red eyes this afternoon, ha ha...

If you have the pH- ... certainly add some to get the pH in the 7s. Let the water circulate for 30 minutes before they swim. I would suggest using muriatic acid in the future if you need to buy more chemicals.

Just make sure there is some FC registering on your drop test and it should be safe to swim.

If the pool is out in the sun, the FC may be lost to the sun very quickly until the CYA starts to build up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.