Pool Light Turning Off

Apr 24, 2010
This occurred 2-3 times last year, and once this year. Pool light is a standard type (Halogen I believe), located a few feet down under the diving board. Light operates fine, turns on and off. But on very warm days, when the pool water is very warm, the light will suddenly turn off. If I don't do anything, it often comes back on in about 15 minutes. I normally will turn it "off" and wait 15-20 minutes, and if I turn it on, it will come on.

It seems like it's getting hot and turns off when it cools sufficiently. This can't be normal, right? Do these fixtures have some sort of thermal protection that does this? I'm mostly nervous that there is a problem somewhere and I don't want someone getting electrocuted. Should I replace the entire fixture and be done with it? If so, I guess the fixture and cord are one piece and I'll be snaking it back to the JB?

Thanks-

Yes, they do have a thermal protection device, which is generally not servicable..

If you replace the light, cut the old cord at the fixture and use it to pull your new cord through the conduit by taping them together securely.

If you replace the light, cut the old cord at the fixture and use it to pull your new cord through the conduit by taping them together securely.

Can I just remove the wires from the terminal block, tie a string to the wires, and pull the whole fixture out? The string then be used to pull the new wires from the new fixture back to the terminal box. I don't know if there is some sort of a block at the terminal side to prevent the light fixture to be pulled out from the terminal by accident. Also, I plan to change my existing light to LED but just want to make sure the process can be reversed in case the new fixture doesn't fit.

Thx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.