In pool, pool chairs/bench idea

Jul 22, 2011
I've looked around on search and whatnot, but didn't really find what I am looking for...

I was thinkin about making some PVC seating for inside my AGP. the concept would have it hang over the top rails and be completely movable all around the sides. could either do a single seat or a bench typa deal. even thought about making it adjustable height with cotter pins and such to accommodate whoever. has anyone attempted this type of "in pool" seating before?

I am not sure hanging a seat over the side of an above ground pool is a good idea.

There are plastic stools that you could move anywhere in the pool or outside the pool ... like the "Pool Stool" and "Sun Station"

I am not sure hanging a seat over the side of an above ground pool is a good idea.

There are plastic stools that you could move anywhere in the pool or outside the pool ... like the "Pool Stool" and "Sun Station"

Is there a reason for that? The idea is that us tall people would like to be submerged in the water mostly to shoulder or armpit level (facing inside the pool), without having to hang our arms over the side and (facing the outside of the pool)... So if it's a "weight on the wall" thing, then would that really be an issue as most of our body would be in the water... so how would that be any different than someone just hanging on the side?

Well, my thinking was load on the side of the pool. With your arms, the load is distributed fairly well, but with PVC you may have all the load at a couple of points depending on the design.

Worst case, you have these seats hanging and then you have kids standing on them and jumping off of them which could dent/damage the pool.

Your pool ... I would not likely want them hanging on mine if I had an AG pool.

Been contemplating how to do a decent in pool bench of some sort. I have a couple smaller kids that can't stand up in the pool and it would be nice for them to have something to sit or stand on. I think you are on to something here. I don't think I'd want the weight supported by the frame but what about just using the frame to keep it in place but make it go all the way to the bottom. Make the legs a U shape with no sharp edges.

What was your plan for the seat/bench area? What material? One thought was multiple PVC cross beams.

One reason I like the wedding cake type of steps. My 3 and 6 year old grandkids use them as their base to sit and to swim back to.
medium.jpg

I don't think it's any different than using pvc to hold a solar blanket on the outside of the pool. Persons usually become weightless in water so I don't think it would kill the walls. I do know I'd make it perfectly clear to all kids that if they touch them, they lose their pool privileges for a time. Some things, kids just don't need to touch, they get everything else in our lives, an adult seat shouldn't be one of them.

I'd love to see what you come up with, if anything and how it works out for you. :goodjob:

We were just talking about this this last weekend as we were lounging in the pool. I was thinking of PVC frame with some sort of canvas as a seat. You could put the material and sand on/in the frame before gluing it. I would sand the sharp edges of the couplers to further help the liner. I found this in a quick search. PVC BENCH

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.