New Fiberglass Pool Next Week - Automatic Chlorinator or not

Jul 22, 2008
Have been on your site for a few weeks doing my homework and studying. I need some advice. I live in Northern New Jersey. I am installing an new fiberglass pool that will be in full sun from 9am to 5pm. I am adding solar panels to heat the pool. I am getting a Hayward cartridge filter, and 1 1/2 HP pump. The pool is a 14x32 free-form pool and around 13000 gallons. I have been reading alot about the BBB method of pool care, and I am sold on it!

My question is - I have seen alot of posts about people battling high CYA and understand that the trychlor pucks or sticks seem to produce alot of it. Should I have my pool builder NOT install the automatic chlorinator, or can it still be used effectively?

I am really excited and nervous about getting this pool and all that is involved in keeping it up and running. I am completely a DIY guy, so I am sure I will be back here looking for advice.

Install the automatic chlorinator. It has very helpful uses once you understand it's limitations.

Unsolicited advice.......your pump is too big for your pool. Somewhere around .75 hp (full-rated) will be perfectly adequate. Try to get a pump that will turn your pool water roughly 2-3 times daily (if you were to run it for 24 hours). In your case, that's not much more than 30 or so gallons/minute. Whatever pump you end up with, be sure you size your filter so that your filter gpm exceeds the pump gpm by about 20%.

A big pump wastes electricity and can overdrive an inadequate filter. A big filter, on the other hand, will put a constant smile on your face. :lol: :lol:

With a cartridge filter I would not recommend going with a trichlor feeder. You will become overstabilzied very quickly! If you do want to use trichlor for vacations than a floater is a much more economical way to do so. If you change to a sand filter then the feeder might be a useful addition.
Is your pump uprated or full rated? Also what size Hayward cart are you getting. Your pump might not be oversized if it's uprated and you are getting one of the larger Hayward carts.

Noy sure what uprated or full rated means for the pump. It is a Speck model E90.
http://www.speck-pumps.com/html/usa/products/E90/index.htm

I believe the filter is a Hayward Starclear C751.

So your are saying use the automatic chlorinator for times when the pool will be unattended for more than a few days, and add bleach manually on a daily basis when home?

I hope my questions don't sound silly, just wanna figure out what the best move is here.

BTW - A SWG is not completely out of the question. Any suggestions now????

yrreb13 said:
Noy sure what uprated or full rated means for the pump. It is a Speck model E90.
http://www.speck-pumps.com/html/usa/products/E90/index.htm

I believe the filter is a Hayward Starclear C751.

So your are saying use the automatic chlorinator for times when the pool will be unattended for more than a few days, and add bleach manually on a daily basis when home?

I hope my questions don't sound silly, just wanna figure out what the best move is here.

BTW - A SWG is not completely out of the question. Any suggestions now????
I would recommend the SWG!!!!! you will NOT regret it. A swg, fiberglass pool, and cartridge filter is going to be the EASIEST way to maintain your water balance, IMHO.

You pump is upratred (actually, max rated) and so it is NOT oversized for your pool. It is actually the same as a full rated pump in the .75 to 1 hp range.

Your filter is really too small for your pool, IMHO. It is only a 75 sq ft. filter. You will be cleaning it weekly! I would got with either a Hayward C1200 Star Clear Plus (120 sq ft) or a Pentair Clean and Clear 150 (150 sq ft.) Either one would be a better choice for your size pool and your current pump should be fine with either. (I happen to like the Pentair better than the Hayward. I sell both and have the Pentair on my own pool!) This will give you a much longer 'run time' between cleanings!

Thanks for that fast response. Let me ask you this, as money is getting tighter. Is the Pentair Intellichlor ic20 worth the $720 or so it is selling for, or do you reccommend something else. I see others in the $1,000 price range. Are the worth the extra $, or is the Pentair a decent SWG?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.