Help Please with Intex sand filter - Air in the system

May 7, 2011
Hi. I have a 15 Ft round intex pool with the Intex sand filter and salt water system. My problem is that I can't get the air out of the system. When the filter runs there is always some air in the leaf basket area of the pump and then a lot of times when the pump turns off a whole lot of air gets sucked into the system and the leaf basket area is almost completely filled with air. Why is the happening???? There are no leaks, everything in under water…how is air getting in? The biggest problem is that when the pump goes to start again the next day, it has a hard time getting started because there is so much air. Please help. I have no idea how to solve this problem. TIA!!!!!

If yours does not have the air relief on the top, just the large clear lid then loosening that one will only be worse. First thing to do is check that lid to make sure the 0-ring is seated correct, you may be sucking air in there. Failing that, the next time before you start the pump, turn it to "recirculate" first, that really helps prime the pump faster. Once it primed, shut it off, then switch it back to filter, and turn it back on. That will help at least until you find the air leak.

Your pump may be sucking in air from a loose hose connection or misaligned gasket or pinched o-ring. I had that problem. First close the valve on the pool so water doesn't gush out when you disconnect the hose that goes from the pool into the leaf strainer on the pump, then unscrew the hose, make sure o-rings and gaskets are seated properly, and retighten.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.