need help calculating puck amount (for vacation)

pigeon

Bronze Supporter
Mar 23, 2014
south central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are getting ready to go on vacation. I have a small bucket of trichlor pucks (from when we got the pool/pool-stored :tongue:) that I was planning on using, and having a neighbor come over and check periodically. We will be gone for about 10 days.

I lose about 1.5 - 2 ppm daily. My CYA is currently between 30-40.

The bucket I have is 4 lbs (64 oz). According to pool math, 64 oz of trichlor would raise my FC by 20, raise my CYA by 12 and lower pH by about 1.

So, I should still be OK for CYA using these pucks, and it appears the bucket should cover my FC loss for the 10 days?

Is this how the pucks work, will they dissolve slowly over the 10 days? Or should I add half at first, then half after about 5 days?
Would I just put them all into a floater device and just leave them?
Should I be OK with this, and not adding any extra chlorine?

I'm a little nervous about this, my pool water looks great. Do not want to mess it up!

Thanks!

When I leave town, I raise the pool level to allow for evaporation, raise FC a little above normal, and stuff the floater full of pucks. The neighbor can probably handle dumping a jug of bleach in at least once and refill the floater if it needs it. You can deal with the fallout when you get back; as long as it didn't turn green, the chemistry can be fixed in a couple hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.