Algae prevention whilst waiting for test kit

May 19, 2013
Freeport, Bahamas
Hi all, I have had issues with algae for the past few weeks now and have done my reading on the SLAM method of eradicating which I intend to implement as soon as my test kit arrives, however, I live in the Bahamas and that kit won't be here for 2-3 weeks as I ordered it along with some other goods that I am having shipped. I would like to maintain the pool to a swim-able state for the time being as it is summer vacation for the kids and REALLY don't need it to be out of action that long. Is there a good alternative to use in the mean time, dare I say it algaecide or something of the sort?

Thanks (on behalf of my wife who may go insane if I can't get it in check!!!)

I would like to maintain the pool to a swim-able state for the time being as it is summer vacation for the kids and REALLY don't need it to be out of action that long.

So if your trying to maintain the pool to a swimable state...do I read that as being your water is currently not green and maybe just cloudy? What kind of testing kit(s) do you have on hand? Test strips or the yellow color matching OTO test?
I also see that it was completed in 2013 so it's not that old....any background on your maintenance history? Stabilizer added after it was filled, Dichlor or trichlor AKA powders or pucks used?

Thanks guys, sorry in the delay for the reply, I have basically had my pump running 24/7 and brushing daily and cleaning the filter daily, I have had the SWG on 100% output also, My kit STILL hasn't arrived its due in on Tuesday so hopefully I can get it all sorted then. I have used Aquachek 7 test strips which tell me that the stabilizer is in between the 30-50 and everything else is generally ok, but the algae is just starting to get worse so maybe a general shock and do the same again until the kit arrives?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.